Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

Installing Channels freezes on setup

I just bought a new Roku Express 3960X (yes, stupid me, I should know better by now), and during setup, the Installing Channels circle has been spinning for the past 40 minutes and won't complete setup. (I don't have THAT many channels on the Roku on my main TV.)

CAN SOMEONE AT ROKU GET ME OUT OF THIS MESS??? I know I have enough bandwith (over 175 mbps) to complete the setup.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

Re: Installing Channels freezes on setup

I should've said "Updating Channels" is (are?) stuck on setup, but the spinning circle is still the same, and so is my anger (after ONE FULL HOUR)!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

A couple of things to try.:  First, unplug the power and plug it back in and see where that gets you.  At worst, you should be back to the "Let's get started" screen.  Next, if you're using the TV's USB port to power it try a USB adapter/charger from a phone/tablet if it didn't come with one.  Some TV's can't provide enough power.  Finally, try connecting to your phone's hotspot (if possible) just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

I did unplug the device last night and plugged it back in today. Nothing's changed; the Updating Channels circle is STILL spinning.

Also, the device is plugged into a socket instead of the back of a TV.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @clogwearerwayne,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with the Roku Express. May we know how far your Roku device is from your network router? Have you tried the suggestion of @renojim to connect to an alternative network like a mobile hotspot?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos