Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayehate-Roeku
Channel Surfer

I'm trying a new Roku device and it's a failure

I bought a Roku a year ago, it worked great for a few months and then just died.  I figured it was a defective device so I just bought a new one.  During set up it died - literally the second screen to choose wifi it just stopped.  I'm wondering if the people at Roku feel ashamed for making all of this plastic garbage and scamming us suckers into buying it?  I'll never get another Roku.  I won't even watch stuff on a Roku at someone else's house.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: I'm trying a new Roku device and it's a failure

And yet, they have 80 million subscribers and over a quarter of a million customer reviews on Amazon give them an average of 4.7 stars out of 5. 

Most electronic products follow the bathtub curve – ie: lots of failures early-on, followed by a period with infrequent failures, followed by rising failures when they get old. If Roku has a 1% failure rate in the first few months (which is a number I just made up as an example), then 800,000 people would encounter a failure and 8000 people would encounter two failures.

1% is just a made-up number but it shows that even a fairly small defect rate does show up when you have a lot of customers.  It’s no fun when you happen to be one of the “lucky 8000”, of course.

By the way, you should be able to get a refund or replacement at the retailer.  They have those return policies because some stuff just doesn’t work out.

0 Kudos
Ayehate-Roeku
Channel Surfer

I'll bet you're always on Reddit and Twitter, aren't you?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ayehate-Roeku

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing the same issue with two different devices, it's unlikey that the issue is with the Roku device. What specific Roku model device are you using that you are experiencing this issue with? What are you seeing on screen? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? How are you powering the Roku device?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos