Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Interwebz

Hotel WiFi Set-Up without a remote

Jump to solution

I have a Roku stick that I want to connect to a hotel’s WiFi.

The connection requires a username and password.

I do not have the original remote. I use the phone app.

I used another phone to create a hotspot with the same name and password as my home WiFi.

This allowed my phone and roku to connect and I can control it by the app.

When I go to settings, and select the hotel WiFi, I get the “Network Connection Help” pop-up where you can select “I am at a hotel or college dorm” except at this point the Roku is trying to connect to that network and drops the connection to my hotspot which makes the app remote no longer work.

So just for the purposes of controlling the Roku can I get my phone to connect to the Wi-FiDirect that the remotes use somehow or is there another work around?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Hotel WiFi Set-Up without a remote

Jump to solution

Hi @Interwebz,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We recognize that the Roku mobile app on your phone is causing the wireless network connection to drop, which is why you are experiencing difficulties connecting your Roku streaming stick to a hotel or dorm wi-fi network. Fear not—assistance is at hand. It is possible that a new Roku remote will be necessary for you to operate your Roku device and ensure that it is correctly connected to your Wi-Fi. For information on where to get a Roku remote, you can also read this support page.

We sincerely hope that this is helpful. Please let us know if you require anything else.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Interwebz,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We recognize that the Roku mobile app on your phone is causing the wireless network connection to drop, which is why you are experiencing difficulties connecting your Roku streaming stick to a hotel or dorm wi-fi network. Fear not—assistance is at hand. It is possible that a new Roku remote will be necessary for you to operate your Roku device and ensure that it is correctly connected to your Wi-Fi. For information on where to get a Roku remote, you can also read this support page.

We sincerely hope that this is helpful. Please let us know if you require anything else.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GavinGWhiz

Jump to solution

So the solution to connecting a Roku to hotel wifi without a remote is "get a remote."

Awesome, great help.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GavinGWhiz, what do you want?  If it's not possible, it's not possible.  Next time, remember to pack the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos