Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mags132001

Help- why won’t it connect to my tv??

I picked up a roku express last night and have being trying to set it up. It won’t show up on my tv and has a little purple light flashing. How do I fix it??

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help- why won’t it connect to my tv??

@Mags132001 

Let's start with the basics.

What HDMI port are you using on your TV? What is, the HDMI cable from the Roku connects to an HDMI port that should be labeled HDMI1, HDMI2, or something like that. To which are you connected?

What HDMI port is your TV source (input) set to? When you press the Source (or Input) button on your TV's remote, it will probably cycle through, and show on the screen. Which one are you displaying?

Also, what is displaying on the TV?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mags132001

I tried it on both HDMI 1 and 2 and went through each of the options on the TV. All that shows up is a little no signal thing on a black screen @DBDukes 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mags132001 

The "no signal" message is from the TV. That shows when nothing it's not getting a signal, which is kinda obvious. It's as if the Roku isn't connected, or at least, not powered up. You've connected it. Next to check is the power.

Are you using the included power supply for the Roku, or did you plug into a USB port on the TV? Power supply is always recommended.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mags132001

I’m using the USB that it came with but it didn’t have a block for plugging it into the wall. I’ve tried a few that I had sitting around and they all have worked for my phone

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mags132001 

The Roku Express is supposed to include a power supply. At least, in the U.S. Are you outside the U.S.?

Roku-express-in-the-box.png

If you're in the UK or Canada, that may not apply.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Mags132001

I’m in Canada and unfortunately they had it listed on the inside of the box that one wasn’t included. Is getting one going to fix it or am I better off selling it and getting a smart tv?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mags132001 

If you have a second TV, check to see if the Roku works on it.

If you don't, truing to troubleshoot yours, it seems as if the Roku isn't getting proper power. It may be betting enough to light the LED, but not enough to properly operate.

However, I am concerned about the HDMI ports on the TV. You said you selected the input source on the TV to which the Roku is connected. And, you said you did that for two different inputs. It's unlikely both are bad, so that indicates the Roku.

If your TV is otherwise good, and you are otherwise happy with it, I would hate to suggest you replace it, whether with a Roku TV or any other platform.

I would suggest the Roku isn't getting proper power. The cheapest Roku device sold in Canada that includes a power supply is the Premiere. It's $45 CAN. The Streaming Stick 4K is good, but it's $70 CAN.

I don't know the pricing on TVs in your country. Unless you need a TV, adding a streaming device to your existing might be more cost effective, if your TV ports are in good working order.

DBDukes

0 Kudos

I'm in the US and I'm having exactly the same problem: trying to install a Roku Express and getting a flashing purple light (with nothing showing up on my TV screen, which is set to the right input). I am using the enclosed Roku power cord plugged into a wall outlet. I tried this on another TV hooking it up to another wall outlet, and I still have the same problem.

0 Kudos
renojim

@bostoncrabbe, if you've tried it on two different TV's with the supplied power adapter and you're sure you've selected the proper input the only other thing to try is another HDMI cable.  The supplied power adapter is the way to go, but since that isn't working you can try using the TV's USB port if it has one or another USB power adapter from some other device.  If all that fails then return it where you got it.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos