Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Getting ROKU to work with an old HDTV

@Dickyg wrote:

I have an HDMI connection on one end and composite on the other end.  This is a cable from my playstation 3.  With the remote, I can set my resolution on the tv to 720.  I am wondering if that would work with Roku as well.  Thanks for your reply's.

No, that won't work. The Playstation has the ability to set the resolution to work with a composite cable. The Roku has no such setting. A simple cable is not sufficient to convert the digital signal to the analog composite. That requires a powered adapter/converter box. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

You probably want to make a new question for this.

0 Kudos
Dickyg
Reel Rookie

I bought the easycel.  I'm using it with a Roku Ultra and trying to get it to work on a Toshiba Projection TV.  I had to use the tv remote to control the on/off of the tv and the sound.  I got a good picture but the sound quality was terrible.  I do not think that the verbal part of the roku remote worked.  I have not gone back to the tv since.  I had cable with comcast and everything worked fine with their box.  Now the tv is just one big paper weight.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I assume that these boxes vary in their audio quality.  Most cheap gadgets can get the digital stuff right, but once things go analog, quality tends to be more variable. Easycel makes a bunch of products but looking at some at amazon, I did see some complaints about audio on some of them. 

You might try playing around with the wire routing as well since analog cables can pick up environmental noise.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos

I think the answer from atc98092 is correct. I have a TV that supports 1080i but not 1080p. The Roku stick I bought would not operate properly. I have another small TV that *does* support 1080p. I put the Roku stick in that and it worked fine. Then I manually set the Roku stick to 720p rather than use auto-detect. After that, the Roku stick worked fine on the old TV at 720p resolution. If you don't have a 1080p television at all, maybe you could "borrow" a friend's TV to do the initial setup and set the stick to 720p.

0 Kudos