Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fahai8

First time trying a Roku, any tips for a beginner?

Hey y'all, so recently I felt like "man it's soo boring just watching what <random TV station> is broadcasting i just wanna watch some netflix but i dont wanna watch it on my phone and my tv doesn't have netflix" so I went on the internet and started looking for something like a Chromecast. And then, I found, just sitting and waiting for somebody to buy it, a used Roku Express in great condition for just a bit more than 15 dollars. So I hit "Buy" and now, is there anything a beginner should know? Also I'm getting one that's imported from Germany (german writing on the box, etc.), but I don't speak German, so would it have English in the OS?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: First time trying a Roku, any tips for a beginner?

Hi @fahai8,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you taking an interest in knowing more about your new Roku Express. No worries, we're here to provide you with the basic things to do with your new streaming device.

After you've received your device, make sure to perform a hard reset on it to delete all the existing data and create your own Roku Account. Please take note that one of the important thing to have is a network connection (wired/wireless) to utilize your Roku Express. You can visit our Support article to help you How to set up Roku Express. This will help you choose a language, connect your device to a network, and customize it as your own. 

You can also add your favorite app/channels by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll and select Store > Select Channels then browse your favorite movie, TV shows, etc., and if the app is free press OK > Add channel.

Furthermore, feel free to contact us anytime if you have further questions or are in need of any assistance. We'd be more than willing to help you anytime as your satisfaction is essential to us. 

Congratulations on your new Roku Express!

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: First time trying a Roku, any tips for a beginner?

If it's new or factory reset, it should have a language option on bootup.

To be honest, even at $15, a basic Express is a BAD deal. It has so little channel memory that it will almost constantly download and install every time you try to open an app. I personally believe the base model should be the Express 4K+.

Otherwise, the only general information is to NEVER subscribe through Roku, or any 3rd party. Go to the WEB SITE of the service and subscribe there. Eliminates the middle man and all sorts of billing or service issues, and typically guarantees you can use that subscription on multiple devices.

0 Kudos