Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biscuitbeau
Reel Rookie

Factory reset stuck on "updating channels"

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV that is 3 years old. Roku was lagging badly and wouldn't let me open most apps. No new software update available, strong internet connection, and I power cycled multiple times. Decided to do a factory reset. I've tried twice using the physical reset button on the TV and three times using the factory reset using the remote, and I keep getting stuck at "updating channels" after I log in.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
biscuitbeau
Reel Rookie

Re: Factory reset stuck on "updating channels"

Jump to solution

I just retried a few minutes ago after seeing someone say their TV started to work again and mine got past the "updating channels" screen! I agree it was an issue on Roku's end that I hope is fixed now

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Zeeno,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you are also having issues with being stuck on updating channels, and we appreciate your posting about this.

Are you getting any error messages or error codes?

Kindly try restarting your network router for the updating of channels highly depends on your internet. After doing so, you can restart your Roku device by unplugging it from the power outlet and plugging it back in.

Let us know how it goes, and we will continue to assist you further.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mariav49,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having issues updating channels on your Roku device. We're happy to assist.

Please be aware that the channel update process during the activation of the device solely relies on your network strength. With this, we would recommend that you restart your router and try again. If the issue is persistent, kindly try connecting the device to a mobile hotspot just to check for differences.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Noderoc

Jump to solution

Same here. Trying to setup a new ultra… stuck on updating channels… must be a problem on Roku’s end

0 Kudos
biscuitbeau
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just retried a few minutes ago after seeing someone say their TV started to work again and mine got past the "updating channels" screen! I agree it was an issue on Roku's end that I hope is fixed now

0 Kudos
Corn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Still trying to update!

0 Kudos
Corn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Still stuck on updating channels!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @Corn!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. No worries! We'd be more than happy to further assist you in updating your channels successfully.

May we first know what specific apps are affected by this? In the meantime, try rebooting your Roku TV to resolve this. (Settings > System > Power > System restart

Let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zeeno

Jump to solution

My fifth attempt. Been stuck on "updating channels" for an hour this time.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Zeeno,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you are also having issues with being stuck on updating channels, and we appreciate your posting about this.

Are you getting any error messages or error codes?

Kindly try restarting your network router for the updating of channels highly depends on your internet. After doing so, you can restart your Roku device by unplugging it from the power outlet and plugging it back in.

Let us know how it goes, and we will continue to assist you further.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mariav49

Jump to solution

My tv had the same issue 😩at this point I’m really regretting buying this tv

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mariav49,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having issues updating channels on your Roku device. We're happy to assist.

Please be aware that the channel update process during the activation of the device solely relies on your network strength. With this, we would recommend that you restart your router and try again. If the issue is persistent, kindly try connecting the device to a mobile hotspot just to check for differences.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos