Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjp2231
Reel Rookie

Detailed user guide for seniors

Hi, I just purchased a roku express 4k+ for my elderly mother with dementia. She can't remember how to use the device without my having a printed manual with descriptions of HOW to use the roku... Not the setup. Is there a pdf or printable guide somewhere that I can get for her? I'm not home at certain times and she can't remember how to even use the remote without a paper manual to refer to constantly 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Detailed user guide for seniors

https://image.roku.com/c3VwcG9ydC1B/Roku-Voice-Remote-Pro-QSG-2021-US.pdf

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-use-roku-remote/

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-roku-remote

Why don't you make a Word Doc with instructions? I did that for my mother. I made it in large bold text. I took screenshots and made easy to read instructions for my mother. She can look at the Word Doc print out and match everything up. Everyone's Roku will be setup differently as far channels go. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@mjp2231 

The instructions depend on how the device is setup and apps arranged. If that doesn't make sense, follow along.

First, how many apps (Roku calls them channels) does she use? Everything depends on how many different apps she would want to use.

Next, does she need any subscription services (Netflix, Hulu, etc)? And, if so, are you billing via Roku? Or are you billing directly?

The reason that matters is, if you are billing directly to the services, or if all she watches are free services, you can actually set a Roku up for her with only the apps she needs. If there are less than 10 apps she uses, then they would all be on the menu and she would not have to scroll. If you get the number down to six, even better. Three or less, there's a single line. That way, should she ever hit UP instead of DOWN, she would still see all her apps.

The one she used the most could be the first item (row 1, column 1) and the rest (if any) would be the ones she used next most often, and so on. Limiting to six would be ideal, but nine is workable.

If you want to do this, you would set up a separate Roku account for her that you would maintain. Add the apps you want, arrange them accordingly, and if they are subscription accounts, log into them with your direct (not via Roku) subscription. Again, avoiding those would be better, as they will occasionally need re-authentication.

With a setup like that, all she needs is HOME, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, OK. And, possibly POWER (ON/OFF) if the TV needs to be turned off. It doesn't, but if preference is that it be turned off, then you need 7 buttons, not 6.

If she watched, say, Pluto TV the most, put it in position 1 (row 1, column 1). She can then, if from the Home position, hitting OK twice launches Pluto TV. Whatever is in position 1 gets launched from Home position by hitting OK twice.

When she is done with watching, hit HOME to exit the app. I suggest HOME twice to exit, as that returns Roku to the Home position, in case she was not on Row 1 when watching. From Row 1, Home returns to Home position. From any other row, HOME exits the app, and the second HOME returns to Home position. So, for simpler instructions, HOME twice to exit always works.

If this type of setup will work for your situation, then instructions would be easy enough to write out.

For example, assume six apps, in position order:

1. Pluto TV
  2. Roku Channel
  3. Xumo
  4. Tubi
  5. Netflix (I recommend against, as the autoplay feature, which cannot be disabled, may cause confusion if she things she started it by accident, when it was the app that did it).
  6. Local Now

A lineup such as this might include instructions:

• Pluto TV: HOME, OK, OK
  • Roku Channel: HOME, OK, RIGHT, OK
  • Xumo: HOME, OK, RIGHT, RIGHT, OK
  • Tubi: HOME, OK, DOWN, OK
  • Netflix: HOME, OK, DOWN, RIGHT, OK
  • Local Now: HOME, OK, DOWN, RIGHT, RIGHT, OK
  • To exit any app: HOME, HOME

Are instructions such as that what you're after? If so, a layout as described will allow that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

mjp2231
Reel Rookie

Ah yes. I didn't think about all of that. As of now, we pay for Netflix, prime video, and Hulu. She hasn't learned how to use any of those yet though. She still has cae and just flips through channels all day complaining that there isn't anything to watch. That's why I bought the roku. I'm attempting to make user guides for her so that she will be able to watch those subscription services at some point. As of now, I think (if possible) integration of her cable service through the roku would be a good idea, just to get her used to using the roku system in general. It will take a long time for her to retain any of that information, if at all. If she can eventually get comfortable with roku in general, then I'll move on to getting her comfortable with the subscription services. I appreciate your reply 😁

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@mjp2231 wrote:

... As of now, I think (if possible) integration of her cable service through the roku would be a good idea, just to get her used to using the roku system in general. ...

If they have a Roku app -- I know Spectrum and Xfinity/Comcast have Roku apps, but uncertain about other services -- then that approach would be a very good way to introduce Roku.

If you haven't looked at Pluto TV, Xumo, or the Live TV portion of Roku Channel? They and others have a very cable-like guide. (I'm not recommending Sling TV free tier, as it has prominent buttons that promote the paid service; however, as a free service, apart from that, it's good.) If your cable provider does not have Roku app, then it would be a more dive into it, requiring the instructions as you were thinking.

Good luck.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

mjp2231
Reel Rookie

I need to learn how to make a word document 🤦🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Open it up and start typing. Ditch cable tv for something like Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV. 

DBDukes

@mjp2231 wrote:

I need to learn how to make a word document 🤦🏼‍♀️

I suggest your first option would be to simply write out the instructions using Notepad or some other simple text editor. Once you have that, you can then bring it into a more robust application such as Word or Publisher. But the instructions are the most important thing. That's really the hard part. You'll realize how easy the rest is, once you get past writing them out.

DBDukes

Strega
Roku Guru

I’ve been making parental users guides in Word since the Windows 95 days.  It sounds like “kids” all over the world are doing that!