Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD player not being recognized

I have a Westinghouse 32" Roku tv that I got for Christmas. I also have an older JVC XV-N44 DVD player that upon initial hook up with the Roku worked fine with brand new 3-color AV cable. Then after a few days of not using the dvd player I go to use it again but this time I get the "DVD player. No signal (is it on?)" Message. Tried a few suggestions from the Roku community page and got it working. I again dont use the dvd player for a few days and goes back to the "No signal" screen. I've tried literally everything suggested on the community page, unplugging-plugging back in, turn off turn on, delete input, reinstall input, going to the CEC device page in the system settings. Everything besides buying another new 3-color AV cable or finding a new dvd player. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: DVD player not being recognized

I assume by 3 color you mean a basic AV cable (red/white/yellow)? That is an older analog composite video input. It seems as if many newer TV's don't seem to like them anymore. You may be better off getting a basic Blu-Ray player, which will have an HDMI output. BD players can also play DVD's and CD's.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Streaming Star

Re: DVD player not being recognized

I'm guessing you have a component video out from the player, and you have the same input on the TV. It also sounds like you're saying it's intermittent. I'm also going to assume that you turn the player on before switching the TV to that input. 

There's nothing too special about the video cable, other than the color coding. If you have just one spare A/V cable, try using it in place of one of the video cables to troubleshoot, replacing one at a time and seeing if it eventually changes things.

The player outputs either progressive or interlaced video, so maybe you have an incompatibility there. you can set it as shown here:

Page 6 of JVC DVD Player XV-N44SL User Guide | ManualsOnline.com

Also check if the screen saver function has any effect on the TV's response:

Page 29 of JVC DVD Player XV-N44SL User Guide | ManualsOnline.com

And there's standby mode:

Page 30 of JVC DVD Player XV-N44SL User Guide | ManualsOnline.com

0 Kudos