Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noreally
Reel Rookie

Credit Card Requirement Hostage

Credit Card requirement to open an account is like holding customers hostage once they get on the plane. It took me an extra 30 minutes to read how to not give my credit card information. For you youngsters out there companies get hacked/ lose your private information on a regular basis. Why take the risk? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Credit Card Requirement Hostage

The easiest way to create an account without a credit card is to go to:

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

You can also add or delete a payment method at any time or use another method like paypal.

As for the CC risk, hacking happens at gas stations and grocery stores too but if you don’t use a credit card, then it doesn’t have much utility.  In 42 years of CC usage, I think I’ve had a CC number stolen 4 times.  In three of four cases, the issuing bank called me to ask me questions like: Did I just spend $2000 in a shoe store in Dubai, and I would say nope and all those suspicious charges would be wiped and a new card would be sent to me.  In the fourth case, I spotted the fraud myself but the result was the same.  It’s more of an inconvenience to the CC users.  Credit card risk is really borne by the merchants like that shoe store.

0 Kudos
noreally
Reel Rookie

Strega, thank you for your response which unfortunatlely did not address the concern and is misleading.

Roku should just do the right thing and not hold new customers hostage for their credit card information to get an account under pressure of a shot clock. They should make it clear how to opt out upfront period.

It is misleading to suggest that having your credit card information stolen is just an inconvenience and costs are "borne by the merchant". It is a major inconvenience and no business works for free as their revenue is borne by the customers - me.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

As a merchant, and a customer, the merchant side of me is the only side that has lost money on credit cards.  Now do I, as a merchant, include this as a "cost of doing business" in my pricing.  Yes I do, and everyone else does regardless of whether you use Roku pay or not and whether you personally use a credit card or not.  Fortunately, this particular cost of doing business is actually a very small cost overall.  Really annoying when it happens, but a small small fraction of what the business makes.

I remember one charge back where I got to see the original dispute letter.  He had 11 charges that month and he disputed every one of them, claiming didn't receive, didn't order, not as described etc.

It's annoying, but the week my business starting taking credit cards, sales nearly tripled.  People love instant gratification.  Credit cards are a flimsy old system but they're worth the trouble.

By the way if you search for: how to use roku without a credit card

You'll get plenty of pages, and videos telling you how to do it, including links to this forum. I originally signed up without a payment method, then added one later.  Then changed to another one after that.

0 Kudos