Roku setup

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmoore284
Level 7

Connecting Roku to home surround sound

I just moved into a new house and need assistance connecting my Roku to my surround sound. In my living room where the tv is mounted I have a set of Red-Green-Blue component cables, an HDMI cable, and also a RF signal extender routed in the wall to a nearby closet. In the closet I have a Marantz receiver and stereo as well as a DVD player. The receiver connects to speakers mounted in the ceiling throughout the living room area.

I am having trouble understanding how I can use my Roku Streaming Stick +. If I plug the Roku into the HDMI port on the TV as I have always done, then the audio comes out of the TV's speakers. How can I set it up so that the audio goes through the receiver to the surround sound speakers?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Riku
Level 7

Re: Connecting Roku to home surround sound

Try this link from Roku support

https://support.roku.com/article/208754498

You'll probably need an HDMI port on your A/V Receiver (AVR)

If it's older and there is none, then maybe there is a converter.

If none of that works - call Geek Squad I guess.

Good  luck

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Roku to home surround sound

If it's coming out of the TV speakers, while other audio is sent to your receiver, then it's likely your receiver isn't compatible with the audio coming from the Roku. Of course, there might be some sort of setting within the TV audio menu about how it handles audio from connected devices.

Most online streaming providers use Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) as the multi-channel audio codec. If your receiver doesn't have HDMI jacks, odds are likely that it's old enough it doesn't support DD+. That would be one explanation why the TV is handling the audio.

I don't quite understand how the audio from your TV is getting to the receiver. You mention component, which is video only. You also mention HDMI and some sort of extender. If HDMI is what is sending your audio back to the receiver (via ARC), that means of course your receiver has HDMI ports, but it doesn't confirm if your receiver can handle DD+. If your receiver does have HDMI inputs, that is really where your Roku should be connected, rather than sending it to the TV then back to the receiver to process the audio.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos