Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Roku Express to a Samsung Smart TV

I have an 8 year old Samsung Smart TV that does not support many streaming channels. I'd like to get a Roku Express, but am wondering if an HDMI to HDMI cable will work. The Samsung has a USB connection. Is there an adapter that would work? 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting Roku Express to a Samsung Smart TV

HDMI to HDMI is the default.  If you mean HDMI to USB - no.  Then again, I think it's very unlikely that an 8-year-old TV wouldn't have an HDMI port (or 2, or 3 or 4).  Do you have the model number?

My Roku is connected to a 11-12 year-old Samsung "dumb TV".    This TV has HDMI and USB ports on the side, as well as more HDMI ports on the back, so look all around...

0 Kudos

Hi @Strega thank you for responding! Here is a picture of the back, there are not any ports on the sides, top or bottom. Weirdly, it says HDMI, but I do not see an HDMI port? Amy I missing something?IMG-0150.jpg

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

From what I'm seeing here:

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/201609/20160909144807520/KS8500_ZA_QSG_BN68-07834G-02_...

That "one connect" cable on the right side of your picture goes to another box that that has 4 HDMI ports, an antenna port, and an optical port.

Thank you so much for this info - I apparently need to take a better look. Very much appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You're welcome! I've never seen one like that. It didn't occur to me when I said to look all around that you even had to look in places other than the TV itself!  It's a cool design – it must make neat wall mounts easier with most cables going to that other box.

0 Kudos
Jlharw

Thank you Strega !!  Your explanation helped me figure out where the HDMI port is on my Samsung Smart TV.  

0 Kudos