Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heathermsch
Reel Rookie

Changed TV, Roku device not working at WiFi setup

Jump to solution

I am currently using the roku 3920x. I was using my device on one tv and switched it to another. Now I am experiencing low power issues (blinking red light), and a blinking white light. I have reset the roku device, changed tv settings, changed hdmi cords, changed batteries and un plugged both. I have the standard remote. The roku will come on eventually, and let me get to the WiFi set up- but will not work after that point. Is there something I’m missing? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Changed TV, Roku device not working at WiFi setup

Jump to solution

@heathermsch 

You have a few different issues going on here so need to clarify some responses.

1.  Red light --> the red light will be an indicator of a power supply issue or a failed device. (Did the red light go away when plugging back into your original TV?.  Did the red light go away when using a different power adapter (5volt, at least 1 amp)?  Did you try using a different micro-USB power cable?  

All the above addresses trying to cure to low-power issues.  Need to be aware that the red light will not always be on when users experience low power problems.  Sometimes the light is white (normal), but the unit just doesn't work properly.  However, since you saw the red light, did changing any of the above resolve the red light problem?

2. Flashing white light --> This usually just indicates that the device is not connected to a network or is lacking an internet connection.  (this can be addressed later once you get through setup).

3. Remote issues --> I know it sounds basic, but verify batteries are in correctly.  You can test if the Roku remote is producing an IR signal by pointing it at your phone (while your phone is in camera mode - ie. like you are taking a picture of it) and pressing the remote buttons.  You should see some red or purple flashes of light on your phone.

It could be that either the remote or the 3920 (IR receiver) itself is having issues.  If the remote is not working correctly, then can purchase an inexpensive universal streaming remote compatible with Roku or Roku replacement remote.

However, you may just have a failing/failed device and may be worthwhile to consider replacing it.  If changing out power supplies (cable and adapter) doesn't help, and the Roku remote is working correctly, then kind of points to a dying device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@heathermsch 

If you are using the TV's USB power port, it could be underpowered.  Try using the power adapter at the wall outlet.  If currently using a power adapter at the wall, try using another power adapter. (any 5volt, 1amp cell phone charging adapter should work).

If you return the 3920 back to your original TV and it works there, should help confirm that the USB power port of the second TV is either underpowered or suspect.

heathermsch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

It is connected to the tv via hdmi and powered by power adapter. I tried changing the usb power adapter at the wall but now the roku isn’t responsive to the remote. 

Even when plugged into the original tv I was using I am having the same issue, except it doesn’t even let me get as far as selecting the language on the getting started page. I also tried resetting and trying again and still nothing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@heathermsch 

You have a few different issues going on here so need to clarify some responses.

1.  Red light --> the red light will be an indicator of a power supply issue or a failed device. (Did the red light go away when plugging back into your original TV?.  Did the red light go away when using a different power adapter (5volt, at least 1 amp)?  Did you try using a different micro-USB power cable?  

All the above addresses trying to cure to low-power issues.  Need to be aware that the red light will not always be on when users experience low power problems.  Sometimes the light is white (normal), but the unit just doesn't work properly.  However, since you saw the red light, did changing any of the above resolve the red light problem?

2. Flashing white light --> This usually just indicates that the device is not connected to a network or is lacking an internet connection.  (this can be addressed later once you get through setup).

3. Remote issues --> I know it sounds basic, but verify batteries are in correctly.  You can test if the Roku remote is producing an IR signal by pointing it at your phone (while your phone is in camera mode - ie. like you are taking a picture of it) and pressing the remote buttons.  You should see some red or purple flashes of light on your phone.

It could be that either the remote or the 3920 (IR receiver) itself is having issues.  If the remote is not working correctly, then can purchase an inexpensive universal streaming remote compatible with Roku or Roku replacement remote.

However, you may just have a failing/failed device and may be worthwhile to consider replacing it.  If changing out power supplies (cable and adapter) doesn't help, and the Roku remote is working correctly, then kind of points to a dying device.

heathermsch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Red light- it came and went as I changed the cords. I have changed the batteries in the remote but I have not checked to see if it’s a problem with the remote itself. When a button is pressed on the remote the roku device light itself will blink accordingly- just not respond.  changed the micro usb cord as well to see if that was an issue and still nothing. It seems like the device is over working and possibly just dying. I think that I will probably just buy a new roku. Thanks for your input!