Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dicks90

Cannot access the Roku home screen

Due to absence  from my home, I have not used my Roku devices for 4 months and now I can't access the Roku home screen on two different tv's running Roku Express on one and Roku Streaming Stick+ on the other TV. I have tried all of the suggestions and advice from Roku and I am is just not getting any action from Roku at all.  Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot access the Roku home screen

What exactly do you see when you attempt to use the Roku? If you power cycle the Roku, do you see the boot screen with the dancing logo? If not, ensure you've selected the correct HDMI input on the TV. Unless the Roku is completely bricked (highly unlikely), you'll at least see the boot screen. Once we know you can see that, we can go from there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Nik109
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue with accessing the home/setup screen with a new Roku Express & an older Panasonic HD TV. I'm commenting to follow replies. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Nik109 Same questions as I asked above: exactly what do you see? Also, please provide the model number of your TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
Nik109
Channel Surfer

Just screen static & lines. Panasonic Tau HDTV. It's several years old & in a cabinet so I can't get to the model number on the back. I had it connected to an older Roku that Amazon Prime would no longer support. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Screen static & lines sounds very much like a HDMI handshake issue. It could be a cable problem, contaminant within the connections, or something as simple as a failure of either the Roku or the TV. I recognize it might be difficult to reach the ports on the TV, but it might be worth attempting using a different HDMI port on the TV. 

Do you see the dancing Roku logo when you power cycle the Roku? Trying to determine what the status of your Roku is, if it's at least attempting to boot.

Dan

0 Kudos
Nik109
Channel Surfer

There is only one HDMI port on this TV   I have tried 2 different cables, power cycling & the reset on the roku. There are only lines on the TV.  No legible picture.  I have also check all connections. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Is the dancing logo visible when you power cycle the Roku? Any other TV you can test it on?                     

Dan

0 Kudos
Nik109
Channel Surfer

No change when cycled. It will be tomorrow before I can try it on another TV. Are there possibly any settings in my TV that I might need to change?

0 Kudos
atc98092

If you're certain you have the correct input selected, then I really see only two possibilities. Either the TV or the Roku is broken. You should at least see the boot screen when you power cycle the Roku. If it's not there, those are the only two options. Testing the Roku on a different TV will determine which one has gone bad. 

Dan

0 Kudos