Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ct3
Reel Rookie

Can you use Roku Express 4k+ NOT the streaming stick on a 1080 tv

Hello,

I am wanting to purchase Roku Express 4k+ for an older non-smart Vizio tv resolution 1080.  It does not have HDCP 2.2 HDMI

Can you please advise when Roku  recognizes this will it give me an option to change it to 1080 resolution?

Will I encounter any syncing issues?

I apologize for posting the this title twice.  First one did not accepts comments.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can you use Roku Express 4k+ NOT the streaming stick on a 1080 tv

I don't have an Express 4K+ but I do have a 4K-capable Streaming Stick+ 3810 and it has no problems working with my Samsung 1080p HD TV.  I see no reason the Express+ should be any different.

The HDMi connection allows both Roku and TV to exchange information about their capabilities (i.e. a "handshake") when first connecting that allows them to automatically negotiate mutually supported connection parameters .

As a backup on the Roku there is a "Screen type" option that allows you set your setting manually instead of relying on the auto detect setting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
ct3
Reel Rookie

Thank you Makaiguy.  I will go ahead and purchase.  and thanks for quick response.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ct3 

My Express 4k+ is connected to to an older 1080p Emerson TV.  You are good to go.  The 4k denotation just means that the device will support resolutions "up to 4k", not that it requires "4k".

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos