Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HorseLady

Can't automatically switch back from Roku to DirecTV

DirecTV and Roku Switching Problem.

We have had Roku for a couple of years now and we love it for the ease of streaming so many wonderful shows.

We also still subscribe to DirecTV in order to keep up with numerous sporting events.

Up until a couple of months ago there was no issue switching between the two systems.  If we had been watching DirecTV and wanted to go to Roku we simply used the Roku remote and the systems switched from one to the other.  It also worked in reverse, going from Roku to DirecTV was easilyi facilitated by using the DirecTV remote.

Now, while we can still easily go from DirecTV to Roku we cannot go from Roku back to DirecTV.  We have to get the Samsung TV remote and choose “Source” and choose “HDMI 2” which is the connection we use for the TV. 

What happened and how do we fix it?

Thank you.  I appreciate your help.

6 REPLIES 6
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Can't automatically switch back from Roku to DirecTV

@HorseLady It sounds like consumer electronic control got turned off for your Directv.  I believe that Directv calls it HDMI Control.  Make sure HDMI Control is turned on in Directv settings.  If you have a genie it is under Display > Video > HDMI Control

FrankieG
Reel Rookie

Similar but sort of reverse question.  I used to be able to switch from Xfinity to Roku using the Roku remote Home button.  That no longer works, so I use the remote from my Samsung TV to change the Source.  Why did the Home button stop working for that?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@FrankieG 

Verify that both your TV CEC is enabled, and that Roku's 1-touch play CEC feature is enabled. (Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play [enable] )

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

FrankieG
Reel Rookie

Thank you AvsGunnar for responding.  I've verified both but no change.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@FrankieG 

Anything special about your setup?  What is your Roku device model number (Settings/System/About) and model of the Samsung TV?

The 1-touch play is Roku's CEC feature for handling this process (automatically powers/wakes device and switches to the HDMI port).  Since it basically a HDMI CEC feature, need to first look at everything HDMI related. (CEC settings are enabled, HDMI cables, and HDMI ports).

Simple things to do first since you checked your CEC settings is to try using a different HDMI port and/or cable.  With some TVs, the HDMI settings are universal and affects all HDMI ports while others are port specific so may need to verify if this is applicable to you.  Since you are using Samsung, just double check that all CEC and/or AnyNet+ settings are enabled. (Alternatively, you can try performing a Reset of the Samsung TV and then set it up again and see if that makes any difference.)

Final thing to try is to see if there is a conflict with the Xfinity cable box and the Roku 1-touch play.  Try disabling the Xfinity's HDMI ability to switch inputs.  Then see if the Roku feature works.  I remember Xfinity changing the ability to use some HDMI splitters (due to HDCP) through an update to their CEC settings a couple years back, so a settings conflict should be looked at.  Some users have had conflicts with Roku 1-touch play unintentionally controlling their cable boxes (not specifically Xfinity), so certainly a possibility.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tivoburkee

Having cec enabled is different from having the tv recognize the devices as cec devices. A device like the Roku could receive an upgraded software, making it no longer recognized as a cec device. Some tv's allow you to refresh the cec devices connected to it, others you simply unplug and plug the power back in. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.