Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvtips
Streaming Star

Can a Roku smart tv get on the internet

Jump to solution

Can a Roku smart tv get on the internet ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can a Roku smart tv get on the internet

Jump to solution

Yes, two phrases that mean the same thing. A USB stick is a portable drive with flash memory. You could also use a USB hard drive, although I would suggest using one with external power. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, being connected to the internet is the default for a “smart TV”.  They are, however, video/channel oriented. Ie: they don’t have web browsers, email clients, etc.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
rvtips
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you, that is what I thought.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rvtipsIn addition to what the other member said, I'd add that owners of Roku based TV's post more problems than those with streaming players, so if you're contemplating Roku, keep this in mind. And where streaming players are concerned, the Roku Ultra is by far the best 🙂

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The advantage to using a Roku player over a Roku TV is the ability to swap out the player for a newer version or if there's some sort of failure with the player. With a Roku TV you have to replace the entire TV. The advantage of a Roku TV is that you have a single remote and no extra cables, so a neater installation. In general a Roku TV can do everything a Roku player can do, and actually has a couple of tricks that a player can't do. With a Roku TV you can connect a USB stick to the port and pause live TV. That doesn't give it the ability to record OTA TV, as you will lose what is paused if you change channels. 

Just remember that almost any TV you can buy today is a "smart" TV, and will have many streaming options built in, just like a Roku TV. Personally I much prefer using a Roku or Shield player, and have at least one or the other on every TV in my house, even though they are all Smart TVs. 

Dan

0 Kudos
rvtips
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

With a Roku TV you can connect a USB stick to the port and pause live TV. That doesn't give it the ability to record OTA TV, as you will lose what is paused if you change channels. 

How can usb stick do that?

Is a usb stick the same as a usb flash drive?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, two phrases that mean the same thing. A USB stick is a portable drive with flash memory. You could also use a USB hard drive, although I would suggest using one with external power. 

Dan

rvtips
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos