Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K2DS

Brand New 4K sticks locking up.

I bought 2 Roku Streaming Stick 4K units yesterday. I installed on and it worked for a time and then just locked up. I had to remove it from the TV and unplug it from the wall to get it to work again. On the second unit on another tv I am trying to se it up and it too is locking up. I can't get passed or even put in the network password. I have tried removing it from the tv and also unplugging it but no joy..   Both units are plugged into the wall.. What are the chances I got 2 bad units?? Or should I have bought a different brand?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand New 4K sticks locking up.

I can't answer your last question, but I'd say the chance you got two bad sticks isn't very high.  For the first one, what do you mean by "locked up"?  No response to the remote or no picture on your screen?  If it's the latter, there's a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power that if enabled will put the stick into a low power mode.  Pressing Home on your remote a few times should wake it.

For either stick, it could be something interfering with the remote.  The TV itself is often the culprit, but since it's happening on two different TVs that doesn't seem as likely a possibility.  When you press a button on the remote the light on the stick should flash.  It may be hard to see depending on how the stick is oriented.  I would say to try the Roku app on your phone and use it as a remote to see if the stick is still connected to your network, but you can't use it on the second stick until it's connected to your network in the first place.

One last thing - more than one person has reported that the batteries that came with the remote were no good.  Don't rule out dead batteries.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos