Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robbie70

Bought Roku Express in Germany want to use it in UK

Dear Roku Community,

I bought a Roku Express in Germany as a Christmas present for my mother who lives in the UK. I bought it in Germany because the box showed that it had ARD and ZDF Mediathek apps pre-installed and these are interesting for my mother. 

I've set the device up on my mother's TV in the UK and it works fine - I can watch the two german apps mentioned above no problem. My question is this - I would like to install the UK apps (BBC iPLayer, ITV Hub, CH4 HUB etc) but these are not showing as available apps to install when I goto the Streaming Channels option on the device. Can anyone advise me how to do this please ?

Interestingly I havent created any online Roku account - I simply plugged the device into the TV and went through the set-up routine to connect it to my mother's router and it seemed to work ok.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Robert. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Bought Roku Express in Germany want to use it in UK

It has to be linked to someone's Roku account, so check the email address displayed under Settings->System->About.  It was probably set up by someone and returned.  I don't think there's any way to get both the UK channels and the German channels on one account.  You can check which channels are available in each region by going to https://channelstore.roku.com and changing the country selector in the bottom right corner of the display to each country.  I think you'll find that the UK channels aren't available in Germany and vice versa.  If you create a Roku account in one region and try to use a device linked to that account in another region it can really mess things up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
robbie70

thank you @renojim

I tried to follow the link you posted below - but everytime I try to change the country from United Kingdom to Germany it changes it for a split second and then automatically changes it back to UK and refreshes the page with the UK apps. But you're right when I check the UK apps I see all the apps I am interested in. I will check the Setting - System - About you've mentioned the next time I am visting my mother's place. 

The thing is the german apps I am referencing are freely available either to stream via web browser or for download and install as an app on my mother's iPhone. She is able to stream/cast the shows to her TV using Google Chromecast. I cant see why these apps should be blocked by Roku Express. The reason for buying the device was that I thought it would be a more convenient way to use it than casting from the phone. 

I was hoping it might be possible to download the apps from the internet or the play store if they are not available within the Roku Express eco-system.

0 Kudos
renojim

There's no way to add something that isn't in the Roku Channel Store (it's pretty locked down).  Roku's region controls can be frustrating at best.  It's up to the developer's to make their channels/apps available in each region and some are either not willing or don't get it.  It's common for a channel/app to be available on other platforms in a region but not available on Roku devices.  As I said, that's entirely up to the developer/provider; Roku has no control over it.

Oh, and to try to see what's available in different countries try clearing your cookies or using a private browsing session/window.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Two Roku, two accounts (one UK, one DE), connected on different HDMI ports on one TV.  You will need to use VPN for one of them

May be better to buy a cheap tablet and a cheap screen casting dongle for the "non local" country viewing, as it will make the necessary VPN connection simpler, and use Roku for domestic country viewing only.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
renojim

@MilesT,

"Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion."

https://community.roku.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Roku-Community/Roku-Community-Guidelines/td-p/11

0 Kudos