Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RPE-SD
Reel Rookie

Audio Won't Play Through Speakers

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku Streaming Stick 4K and am not able to get Roku content to play the audio through the existing speakers (wired bookshelf speakers). It plays solely through the TV speakers. The audio for CDs and movies plays through the wired speakers just fine.
The existing HDMI connection between the AVR and TV is eARC (HDMI 1).
I connected the Roku to HDMI 3, and the TV and AVR recognize the device with no problem.
I tried swapping the HDMIs (plugged the Roku into HDMI 1 and the AVR to HDMI 3). It had no effect.

Will I need to change my connection between the AVR and the TV to a digital optical cable?
What does that supposedly accomplish?

TV is a Vizio Model V405 H-19
Receiver is a Sony STR-DH590/M
DVD player is a Sony BDP-BX370

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RPE-SD
Reel Rookie

Re: Audio Won't Play Through Speakers

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

The issue originated with the AVR and not the Roku device.
I disconnected all the cables and cords (TV, AVR, DVD, Roku), waited about 5 minutes, turned the AVR back on and cleared it (reset to factory settings) and then reconnected the TV.
The AVR immediately recognized the TV HDMI connection, and the sound was automatically channeled through the speakers.
I reconnected the Roku and it also played through the speakers with no problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RPE-SD

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried connecting the Roku device directly to your AVR to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RPE-SD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

The issue originated with the AVR and not the Roku device.
I disconnected all the cables and cords (TV, AVR, DVD, Roku), waited about 5 minutes, turned the AVR back on and cleared it (reset to factory settings) and then reconnected the TV.
The AVR immediately recognized the TV HDMI connection, and the sound was automatically channeled through the speakers.
I reconnected the Roku and it also played through the speakers with no problem.

mattieH

Jump to solution

We only have 2 HDMI ports, 1 regular HDMI the other HDMI eARC. We could not get any response when asking ROKU if this would work for the Roku stick+ 4k. When we tried it the ROKU stick+ went into the HDMI eARC port and the BluRay player into the HDMI Port. After using the antennae TV, the Roku Channel and the BluRay, when going from BluRay back to ROKU, there was NO audio at all while in Roku mode. The TV had sound/audio and the BluRay. We shut everything down, swapped the HDMI ports so the ROKU Stick+ was now in the HDMI port and the BluRay in the HDMI eARC port. So far so good. It is my understanding, which is limited in this area, that the HDMI eARC is designed/engineered for improved audio to add an sound bar, see ( https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdmi-audio-return-channel-and-earc-for-beginners/ ).

I would welcome any additional insights into this issue. Thank you. Have a great day.

0 Kudos