Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregclinton
Channel Surfer

After power off does roku save your place

Jump to solution

With apple tv, when I turn it off then turn it back on later, it remembers my place and comes up in the same app on the same screen. Does roku also do this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
demsd
Roku Guru

Re: After power off does roku save your place

Jump to solution

Just did a test. My Roku TV will close a channel after clicking the power button. My Roku Ultra does not.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@gregclinton 

re: Saving your place...

Depends on the installed Channels. (Roku terms the various streaming apps as channels).  Since each of the channels have their own developer, it depends on the channel development.

For many, if not most, of the Channels, there is a "Resume" or "Continue Watching" selection or option.  For others, you have to start at the beginning of the episode or movie.

Re: Powering Off

With a Roku device, if you simply press "Power Off" to your TV, the content continues to stream.  You need to press the "Home" button to stop streaming then "Power Off" to stop the streaming. (and potentially save your streaming spot in the episode or movie).  With a RokuTV, the "Power Off" will both stop streaming and power down your TV.

Regardless of whether you choose a Roku device or RokuTV, when you "Power On", you will start on the Home Screen where you will then launch your desired Channel and be presented with the "Continue Watching" option if available.

The update to OS10 apparently allows for "Instant Resume", but not all Channels yet support it.  More info on this is at https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-10#!  so maybe one of the Channels you watch are already supported.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
demsd
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If by off you mean reboot, then no.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
gregclinton
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@demsd, thank you for your reply. I don't think I mean reboot. By off I mean when you press the off button on the roku remote. I realize that turns off the tv, but does it also turn off the roku? By the way, I don't yet have a roku, I'm in the market.

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Just did a test. My Roku TV will close a channel after clicking the power button. My Roku Ultra does not.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
gregclinton
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@demsd, thank you this was very helpful.

gregclinton
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Anyone know if pressing power off on remote with streaming stick+ closes the channel?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@gregclinton 

re: Saving your place...

Depends on the installed Channels. (Roku terms the various streaming apps as channels).  Since each of the channels have their own developer, it depends on the channel development.

For many, if not most, of the Channels, there is a "Resume" or "Continue Watching" selection or option.  For others, you have to start at the beginning of the episode or movie.

Re: Powering Off

With a Roku device, if you simply press "Power Off" to your TV, the content continues to stream.  You need to press the "Home" button to stop streaming then "Power Off" to stop the streaming. (and potentially save your streaming spot in the episode or movie).  With a RokuTV, the "Power Off" will both stop streaming and power down your TV.

Regardless of whether you choose a Roku device or RokuTV, when you "Power On", you will start on the Home Screen where you will then launch your desired Channel and be presented with the "Continue Watching" option if available.

The update to OS10 apparently allows for "Instant Resume", but not all Channels yet support it.  More info on this is at https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-10#!  so maybe one of the Channels you watch are already supported.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102