Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thinwhiteduke
Channel Surfer

using Roku app on LG TV, will I get the channel guide?

Jump to solution

Hello Roku community

i’m looking to get an LG TV as I’m very impressed with the quality

i have the Roku streaming device on some bedroom tv’s and use the live tv channel guide a lot.

I know the channel guide is not available on the web interface or iOS apps, but does anybody know whether the channel guide is in the LG version of the Roku app. 
are there other concerns about using the Roku app on an LG TV

thanks in advance, I’m a bit of a Roku newbie

simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: using Roku app on LG TV, will I get the channel guide?

Jump to solution

To my knowledge, the only app you have for non-Roku devices is The Roku Channel. That is NOT the same as using a Roku device. You can't install different apps/channels like you can on a Roku device. 

The Roku Channel offers a wide variety of media at no charge, using ads to fund it. You can subscribe to paid services through Roku and access it through The Roku Channel, but those subscriptions are only available when using a Roku device (TV or player). 

If you want everything that is available using a Roku player, the app available on third party TVs such as LG or Samsung does not provide it. You have to use an actual Roku player for all the content that is available on the Roku platform. There are certainly apps available for most of the major online providers directly on those smart TVs. But you don't get the simple, easy to use Roku user interface. And there are many, many services that are only available on the Roku platform. Only the user can determine if that's important to them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Thinwhiteduke If you use your Roku device on an LG TV,  everything will be identical to using it on your current TVs.  

Thinwhiteduke
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you. I was hoping to use the LG Roku app instead of another Roku stick?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Thinwhiteduke I don't know what you mean by the LG Roku app.  

https://insidertechie.com/roku-on-lg-tv/

edroksense
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Thinwhiteduke 

If your LG roku tv has a built in roku app ( also known as LG Roku Tv ) then you do not need roku device. The LG has selection of HDMI, live tv ,usb , etc. , and Live tv have selections of local channels, and roku apps has many VOD channels. You can also add channel/s to roku app.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@edroksense @Thinwhiteduke I don't believe any new LG TVs are Roku TVs.  LG did have a Roku TV but it was discontinued.  If you are looking to purchase a new LG TV, and you like the Roku interface just connect any Roku device to your new LG TV.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

To my knowledge, the only app you have for non-Roku devices is The Roku Channel. That is NOT the same as using a Roku device. You can't install different apps/channels like you can on a Roku device. 

The Roku Channel offers a wide variety of media at no charge, using ads to fund it. You can subscribe to paid services through Roku and access it through The Roku Channel, but those subscriptions are only available when using a Roku device (TV or player). 

If you want everything that is available using a Roku player, the app available on third party TVs such as LG or Samsung does not provide it. You have to use an actual Roku player for all the content that is available on the Roku platform. There are certainly apps available for most of the major online providers directly on those smart TVs. But you don't get the simple, easy to use Roku user interface. And there are many, many services that are only available on the Roku platform. Only the user can determine if that's important to them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Thinwhiteduke
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

On the LG Content Store (like the Google or Apple Store) you can select apps to run on the LG Smsrt Tv”s. I believe there is a Roku app, but I don’t know if that App includes the Roku Channel Guide or not

0 Kudos
Thinwhiteduke
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you. Yes I want to just use the app and not a device.I just don’t know if I will be losing any functionality, such as the channel guide, by using the LG Roku TV app.

0 Kudos
Thinwhiteduke
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos