Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesrh72
Reel Rookie

Why does the Mobile App have to be connected to a device to watch a show?

My wife and I both have the Roku Mobile App on our phones. We have previously used them to watch our favorite shows when we were away from home. Recently when we try to watch anything while we are away from home it tells us that we have to connect to our device first. The device at home. We leave it at home because we have a Mobile App.

If we have to be at home or have our device with us, set up and working, to watch something then this app is now pretty much useless as "Mobile" anything. It used to work so the answer that keeps popping up "the Mobile App is not the same as the app on the device" is not helpful at all. It only means that Roku has changed the (supposedly) Mobile App for a senseless reason and they're refusing to tell us why.

I hope they realize how many people are upset about this change and I hope they reverse it very soon.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why does the Mobile App have to be connected to a device to watch a show?

The Roku app on your phone can only connect to a Roku on the same local network as the phone.

When not on your home network you can connect via your web browser to therokuchannel.com, but it will not provide access to any premiums you may subscribe to through Roku that you normally access through The Roku Channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jamesrh72
Reel Rookie

Re: Why does the Mobile App have to be connected to a device to watch a show?

This reply misses the point of my question. 

My question is, why does the Mobile App need to connect to a device at all in order to stream a show? It used to work on it's own as a streaming app. Now it doesn't. It's been changed. But they won't acknowledge it. Why?