Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lolit6

Why does an app have to reinstall occasionally?

I have two identical Roku Streaming Stick+s, both powered up nearly 100% of the time. They use the same account so the apps installed are identical or nearly identical. On one, when I launch the YouTube TV app it occasionally (maybe once a week) has to reinstall or update, because I see the circular progress bar with percentages. Maybe I just always miss it, but I have never seen this on the other Streaming Stick+. Is there any other explanation for why this would happen?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why does an app have to reinstall occasionally?

Hi @lolit6,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

When you link multiple Roku devices to a single Roku account, the channels and purchases will be the same on each device. When a channel is added or removed on one device, the channel is automatically added or removed on all devices linked to that account that support the channel. In this case, it seems like your 

Roku streaming device is checking for available updates with the channels linked with to your Roku account. As of now, we recommend checking the version/model of YouTube TV and you can compare its version to your other Roku streaming device if it's the same or not. In addition, you can perform a system restart to fix this issue. To do this, navigate to Settings > System > System Restart.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Why does an app have to reinstall occasionally?

The Streaming Stick + (Model 3810) only has 512MB of storage for channels. If on the one, you are moving between multiple channels, it may run out, so it frees up memory to load a new one. When you go back to something not used for awhile, it will re-download and install it.

0 Kudos