Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dejathoris
Channel Surfer

What did they need to know?

We have a summer-2020 Roku Ultra-LT and a summer-2021 Ultra 4800x. Both of them are on wired ethernet connections. Both of them say their firmware is up to date .

Both of them would have been working fine , except in the last few months they were very visibly/obviously being hacked and remote controlled by some Intruder. But I could not figure what vector the Intruder was exploiting to do this . Until today , when I was looking through the setup menus on the Ultra-LT . Disabling {control by mobile app} and {screen mirroring} seems to have locked out the hacker (for now).

I never noticed those menu items before because I primarily use the Ultra-4800x , and a few months ago it got a strange firmware update which made a lot of menu items either disappear or not work .

I am posting this to ask you all -

(1) what did the Intruder need to know about our Roku boxes to do this hacking ? Did/do they have my Roku account username and password ? Do they have the serial numbers or mac-addresses of our Ultra boxes ?

(2) How physically close to us did they need to be ? Across the wide internet ? Or just outside our doorstep ?

Thank you for any answers .

0 Kudos