Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect my roku to my roku app

Jump to solution

So I just moved to the college dorms. I've tried everything I could think of to get my physical remote for my roku to work but it just stopped working one day and hasn't come back to life. All I have is the roku app on my phone and I pad. 

My current issue is that I have no way to control my roku because it's not connected to the internet. The app says its not on the network and I can't get to the settings to manually connect it(VIA IP) either. 

Is there anything I can do? I haven't found anything to help in roku support or in other topics here

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to connect my roku to my roku app

Jump to solution

@BagOLobsters even if you had a remote to connect your Roku to the college network, the app still won't work. The reason is the WiFi network has a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. On a public network like that, you really need that level of security, and the IT staff will not disable it for your use. 

The Roku app on a phone or tablet will only connect to a Roku device if they are both connected to the same network, the network uses an IP address range within the private range, and there's no security function on the network that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. 

What model Roku device do you have? If it's any model other than a Roku Stick, you can buy an inexpensive universal IR remote from a wide variety of stores that sell remotes. But the Roku Stick doesn't support IR remotes at all, so for them you must have a genuine Roku remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BagOLobsters,

Thanks for getting in touch, and we appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community.

We've got you covered. We have passed along this case to our support team for further assistance. Please keep an eye on your email address, as they'll be reaching you from there.

Just get back to us and let us know how things turn out.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey there I have unable my Roku remote app how fix Roku tv remote control connected iPad issue

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BagOLobsters even if you had a remote to connect your Roku to the college network, the app still won't work. The reason is the WiFi network has a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. On a public network like that, you really need that level of security, and the IT staff will not disable it for your use. 

The Roku app on a phone or tablet will only connect to a Roku device if they are both connected to the same network, the network uses an IP address range within the private range, and there's no security function on the network that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. 

What model Roku device do you have? If it's any model other than a Roku Stick, you can buy an inexpensive universal IR remote from a wide variety of stores that sell remotes. But the Roku Stick doesn't support IR remotes at all, so for them you must have a genuine Roku remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos