Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sid_Dithers
Channel Surfer

Roku iPhone App Private Listening No Sound

I have been using the Private Listening App on my iPhone12 for about 6 months with no problem. Last night I updated my phone's IOS to 16.3 and the app stopped providing sound!

I've got a TCL Roku television. The app continues to function to select network channels, movies, etc., but just no sound through the iPhone to my headphones via bluetooth.

Interestingly, I dug up an old Android phone and installed the Private Listening app and... same thing!

Also interesting: I have an older Coby HD television in the other room, and I tried my iPhone there. It worked!! 

Is this a app problem or a problem more specifically with the TCL Roku television? (Within the TV's settings, I've also put sound on "stereo" instead of "auto".)

thanks!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku iPhone App Private Listening No Sound

@Sid_Dithers

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • mobile device brand, model and current OS
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sid_Dithers
Channel Surfer

Hello,

I'm using a TCL Roku television:

Model #55S421

Serial #YN00PK053806

Device ID #J598CP053806

Software: 11.5.0 build 4312-30

You asked for a tracker ID; when I tried hitting home five times and then back button 5 times, nothing happens.

I am using an iPhone 12.  This entire problem started when I upgraded to ios 16.3.

The problem is simply this: I am using the Roku App (Official), acquired from the Apple App store. Once the App acknowledges the TCL Roku TV, and my Bluetooth settings are on, I turn on my Bluetooth headphones and press the "headphones" on the App's remote control. Normally, I'd get sound; but since I installed ios 16.3, the selected "headphones" button (with a little green light showing it is "on" or selected), turns off after about a minute and never gives sound through the headphones.

I have an older tv in the other room that uses a separate Roku box; the Bluetooth headphone setting works perfectly there.

Thanks!

remote.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Sid_Dithers 

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to look into further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SurlyFFF

I'm having the same issue.  It stopped working with the upgrade.  The private listening says it is activated, but no sound is coming through either set of headphones that I have tried.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @SurlyFFF

Thanks for the input.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Bokchoyboba
Reel Rookie

I also am having a horrible time with trying to use private listening. I’m not sure if it’s because I live in a dorm but every time I try to connect to private listening on my Onn Roku tv it connects for a few seconds, plays no sound and then disconnects.

when this happens I usually check and see if the app is updated, and if it is I reset my tv and the app, and that still doesn’t work.

I even try to manually connect my tv’s IP to the app but it still doesn’t work, I do recall doing some things to make the private listening work but they were only temporary. 

0 Kudos
Sid_Dithers
Channel Surfer

Any word yet? I'm still having this problem!

0 Kudos
Bokchoyboba
Reel Rookie

Nope, not yet

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hello @Bokchoyboba

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Roku mobile app? To clarify, both your mobile device and your Roku device is be connected to the same wireless network?

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to use headphones with the Roku® mobile app for private listening

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos