Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan49
Reel Rookie

Roku app private listening

Jump to solution

Is it possible to use the private listening function of the Roku app without the app muting the TV speakers. I wear hearing aids and would like to stream to my aids while my wife continues to listen to the TV speakers. I am able to do this, of course, with the Roku remote but my aids provide much better sound quality.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku app private listening

Jump to solution

@Dan49  Hi there! Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, that functionality would not be supported. Using private listening will mute the TV's speakers. 

Another method you might try would be using the Roku mobile app for simultaneous private listening. We allow up to four mobile devices to use private listening at the same time. You could both listen via mobile private listening using this method. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Dan49  Hi there! Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, that functionality would not be supported. Using private listening will mute the TV's speakers. 

Another method you might try would be using the Roku mobile app for simultaneous private listening. We allow up to four mobile devices to use private listening at the same time. You could both listen via mobile private listening using this method. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
dgramp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would love to see that changed, I like to watch movies with the whole family (my kids do not have cell phones) and I can't hear the TV unless it through the remote (or app on the new TV). It worked with the remote on the ultra, all you needed to do was click the volume in a certain sequence. Not sure why they won't let that happen with the app. 

Kd2b3n
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Next generation of TV's and remotes by roku should take an example from SharperImage Hearing Impaired TV Headphones. The TV's should also accept any bluetooth headphones directly from tv allowing independent volume control. Private listening in app DOES NOT WORK. Voice is not synched. Tried everything you can suggest. You have the technology to allow any bluetooth headphones to roku tv' and independent volume control. I am not buying another tv until this is on the market. My next tv will be bought from MGM with this built in, Roku, samsung, visio, other.

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Thanks,

Tanner

laseral

Jump to solution

Check this out!  Plug your earphones into the Roku remote. The tv audio will mute off. Now using the same Roku remote, using the two volumn roker buttons, sequence the volumn as follows: 2 clicks up then 2 clicks down then 3 clicks up then 3 clicks down. The volumn level numbers on the tv screen will move up & down normally as you go through the sequence except the last click down!  This last click not being registered is you positive feedback that the tv speakers are now on and working independently of the roku remote. Now the remote volumn buttons only control your earphones. The tv remote can be used for tv  volumn. Supposingly you can use 3 more smartphones running the Roku remote app & logging into your same Roku account all using the same wifi network. But I haven't tried it myself. Good luck fellow geek! 

marysunshine14
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Wow!! That worked great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
dgramp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Looks like the current update removed this (up up down down up up up down down down) feature, very disappointed 

MarkKaminski
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have NO trouble using my Phonac hearing aids with my Roku Ultra (with the built-in BlueTooth). However, one must use the Roku APP (on my S10 phone). It works great... one just clicks the head-phone button in the app (and the sound to the TV is off).

One quirk is that if you turn the TV off with the regular Roku remote, you still have to turn off the sound to your ears with the APP (or that sound will remain on!)... or turn off the BluTooth to your hearing aids (again, with the app) and then turn everyone off with the hard-remote.

0 Kudos
marysunshine14
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply Mark.

I am looking for any way that I can listen with my hearing aids or headphones and sound from TV as well. I gave found out my tv LG does not have multiple audio out. I have a Roku streambar that connects to HDMI arc so that is the only audio out I can have. Tv is too new to buy a new one.  May have to bring up old dumb tv from the basement. I could get my sound issues working with it.  Sorry I can't explain better. 

stephentoback
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would also like the option in the Roku app to use private listening without muting the television. This will make it much more accessible and easy for people with blue tooth hearing aids that are already connected to their phone so they don't have to switch devices.