Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ukor_user
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku app for iPad hasn’t worked since last update

same. still doesn't work. Now it's just the purple screen, no buffering for me too. 

0 Kudos
jeffkl
Channel Surfer

Once again I recommend all of us report this to Roku. I can't believe they would release an update before thoroughly testing it and making sure it works. The best way to report it is to navigate to online chat.

0 Kudos
Cobleskill
Streaming Star

I was on live chat for a long time today. The rep had me try several things like updating the software on my tv, restarting my tv, removing all the Roku Storage, deleting the app, restarting my iPad and reloading the app. Same results. Purple screen with Roku on it. I told them there were several other people on the Roku Community having the same problem. The problem is not on  my end it is their software. 

On a happier note, I recently got hearing aids that are paired with my iPad and I can use live listening to hear the tv with the volume on the tv turned way down and the volume on my iPad turned way up so as not to disturb my wife while she is sleeping. It takes the place of the private listening feature on the app.

I will still pursue getting the app to work.

Keep reporting the problem.

0 Kudos
Cobleskill
Streaming Star

I hope more people are reporting this problem.

0 Kudos
Wickch
Channel Surfer

Hi all.  I’ve given up.  I finally pursued the chat option and was extremely frustrated to find that the tech appeared not to be aware of the issue.  I asked if they follow their own community message boards and he said they did, but I’m not so sure.  You’d think they’d care if their app worked… Anyhoo… I said I had to go and the tech emailed me this.  (Like I said, I’ve given up and haven’t called but I wanted to share):

1) Please forget your home network on your mobile device 
2) Uninstall the Roku mobile app 
3) Restart the mobile device 
4) Connect the mobile device to the home wifi
5) Reinstall the mobile app

0 Kudos
Cobleskill
Streaming Star

I received an email from the Roku Support team on July 4th asking if I was still having a problem. This was my reply:

The latest version of the Roku app, 9.5.0, still does not work. All I get is a purple screen with Roku on it.  I have reported this in live chat with your support team. Also, many other members in the Roku Community have reported the same problem. Please try again to fix this as I like the private listening option it offers.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

• The Roku app on my iPhone still works. It is logged into my Roku user account
  • The Roku app on my work iPad still works. It is NOT logged into my Roku user account
  • The Roku app on my personal iPad still does NOT work. It IS logged into my Roku user account.

So, it appears the app is OK on a phone, but on the iPad the app cannot be logged into the user account. The app version that is not working is the same 9.5.0 as the other devices. All devices are on iOS 16.5.1.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Roku Community users,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing regarding the Roku mobile app on your iOS device.

Please be aware that there was a service interruption last week (June 29, 2023) affecting mobile device users that has since been resolved.

If you are still experiencing an issue after this service interruption, we would be more than happy to continue investigating what you are experiencing, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• mobile device brand, specific model, and iOS version
  • Roku mobile app version
  • what behavior you are seeing with the Roku mobile app

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Danny, the one device that the app isn't working on is as follows:

iPad (6th generation) iOS 16.5.1. Since I can't open the app, I can only confirm the app version within the iTunes app store, which shows that I have version 9.5.0. As noted before, this app was logged into my Roku user account when it was still working.

I have a 9th generation iPad that has never had the Roku app logged into my Roku user account. That app is working fine. It too is on iOS 16.5.1 and the app shows version 9.5.0.6438302.23. 

I also have the app on my iPhone 12, iOS 16.5.1, and the same app version shown above. This app is logged into my Roku user account and works fine. The problem really seems to be isolated to iPad devices that have the app logged into the customer's Roku user account. On those devices, the load screen just sits there and never moves past the purple Roku screen.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Cobleskill
Streaming Star

Danny,  I am using an iPad 7th generation. iPadOS version 16.5.1. The Roku app I am trying to load is the latest one in the App Store 9.5.0. I am using a 50” TCL Roku TV. TCL model 50S435. Thie app stopped working when the app version 9.4.0 was installed.

0 Kudos