Roku mobile app

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Mobile iPhone App not capturing sound from Roku TV

It’s possible your tv doesn’t support 5GHz WiFi. Not all do. Not even all Roku players support both bands. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
toonbon
Level 9

My ISP is Ayera. They've put up a mast on the roof of a shopping center next to the trailer park I'm in and shoot line of sight to a small antenna on each trailer.  This gives us up to 30Mbps internet service.

So now you have a new modem which is broadcasting both the 2.4 and the 5.0? They should be named differently and each one with its own password. So which one is your Roku TV seeing? 2.4 or 5.0? 

The network names are Ayera 2.4Ghz and Ayera 5Ghz (that's what my iPhone 7 sees) but when the TCL Roku TV scans for a network it just shows Ayera. I assume this is the 2.4 version but don't know how to tell for sure.

I tried typing in  the name of the Ayera 5Ghz network (as it appears to the iPhone) for the Private network option of the TCL Roku connection setup,  but the Roku TV didn't find it.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Level 14

@toonbon  Antenna? What happens when you connect you Roku TV to the Ayera it finds? You should’ve had instructions that came with your modem or you can call your ISP. We aren’t there so it’s hard to try to help you. So your Network names are exactly what you see? The names should be written on the bottom of the modem

0 Kudos
atc98092

@toonbon wrote:

The network names are Ayera 2.4Ghz and Ayera 5Ghz (that's what my iPhone 7 sees) but when the TCL Roku TV scans for a network it just shows Ayera. I assume this is the 2.4 version but don't know how to tell for sure.

I tried typing in  the name of the Ayera 5Ghz network (as it appears to the iPhone) for the Private network option of the TCL Roku connection setup,  but the Roku TV didn't find it.

No, it should see the same network names your phone sees. The name comes from the router, and the Roku simply says the name it sees. It's possible your router is using a channel for each band that are not supported by Roku. For 2.4 GHz, the channel number must be between 1 and 11. 12, 13 or 14 won't be seen by any Roku. In 5 GHz, the channel number must be below 49 or above 148. Any channel from 49 to 148 will not appear in the Roku network list.

So, check the channel assignment in your router. It is likely set to Auto, so you might need to manually assign a channel yourself. On 2.4 GHz, assign channel 1, 6 or 11. For 5 GHz, any channel that isn't between 49-148.  

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Ello2022 wrote:

@toonbon  Antenna? 

He's referring to an antenna specifically to connect between the shopping center and his location. It's not an OTA broadcast antenna, and there's no way to connect it to the Roku TV RF input. 

Dan

0 Kudos