Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rrwd
Channel Surfer

Re: Private listening not working via app

Screw Roku.  Bought a new Apple TV 4K and AirPods Gen 2.   They work flawlessly together.  Such a great decision.  If Roku had simply fixed this major bug then I would have been fine and never thought of alternatives.  They've lost my business!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Paul14736251

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mongo46538

Re: Private listening not working via a.pp

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bluetooth. Great when it works. My headphones work with every other app on my phone except Roku. Same with a different set of headphones. Roku private listening also fails on my pad as well as my phone. They've dorked it with their last update. Old PC user here. Rule of thumb. If it works don't patch it. 

Love Roku for everything else hopefully there's an update for the update. 

Mongo46538

Just found an article that said to start private listening before streaming. I jumped out to the home screen connected private listening and then selected a channel... and it worked! Hopefully this will work consistently. ... stay tuned

Paul14736251
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R

Two weeks later.... Still nothing.

July to December "on hold." Longest wait-time I've ever experienced with any reputable (wait -- scratch that) company's "Support" (misnomer) team.

Could you possibly estimate on which calendar year I can likely expect a response?

Thanks SO much.

Burtti

FIX: Private listening not working via app

I have the latest version of the Roku App and device software. Despite this, private listening suddenly stopped working (after working perfectly on 4 devices for 2+ years. The app connects and I can even go into Private Listening mode, but there is no sound. 

Despite all of the lousy advice from Roku, I confirmed another user's fix. Just change the device to Stereo in Audio settings. This is a DEVICE setting, not a setting in the phone app. Here's how to do it: 

1. Go to the Roku Home screen.
  2. Select "Settings" -> "Audio"
  3. Select "Audio mode"
  4. Change from "Auto" to "Stereo"
  5. Return Home and try connecting to Private Listening. 

For me, this worked perfectly on all of my Roku devices and fixed my apps on two different iPhones. 

I hope this helps you and I hope Roku eventually fixes this problem. I also hope Roku starts taking their customer service seriously, because this example is pathetic. 

#privatelistening

Tags (1)
Paul14736251
Channel Surfer

Re: FIX: Private listening not working via app

Thanks so much for attempting to help ROKU customers (without pay) when ROKU paid-staff continues to fail to even attempt to help after their product has been purchased.  @RokuDanny-R here posted in November that he was sending the CS folks back my way, but none of that elusive fraternity has bothered to even respond.  I'm not sure whether they're unwilling/resistant to the concept and practice of providing CS, or, whether @RokuDanny-R is actually impotent to command the help that s/he purports to be competent to command.  Maybe s/he could offer that clarification, though I'm past expecting any actual help from any paid ROKU employee

In any case, thank you very much, @Burtti for attempting to help.  Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, while the process you suggest did seem to introduce more stability into the app, at this point the only "functionally" I can get out of the app itself is locking up on its own flash screen.  Can't use it at all for anything at the moment.  I can plug a headphone cable into the old remote, but the app is just dead.

I floated an idea a while back that since it's been since July that I reported my initial problem here (and had not received any support response -- that's now, roughly 6 months of NO helpful CS/TS), I'd thought that suggesting that I would start submitting consumer complaints to all Attorneys General in all states in which ROKU has offices might shake them up enough to actually provide support.

Nexifer
Channel Surfer

I just tried starting streaming at home screen and then went to YouTube TV and bam! Sound in headphones. Btw I tried wired headphones, AirPods and every other possible solution. This however worked. Thanks! 
I only have this problem on my newest Roku streaming stick 4k. My Ultra works as it’s supposed to. Obviously an issue with Roku. As long as I can get it to work like this I suppose I’m happy. I don’t use headphones that often. 

0 Kudos
Nexifer
Channel Surfer

Re: FIX: Private listening not working via app

Does stereo setting play Dolby Digital sound? I’d hate to screw up my sound bar output. 

0 Kudos
_Jaywalker_
Reel Rookie

I was using the USB port on the back of the TV and encountered the same issues with private audio not working on my iPhone app when using a Roku Stick+. I then started using the supplied USB charging block, plugging it into a constant power source. Now, private listening works reliably.

0 Kudos