Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelsinko
Reel Rookie

Roku Mobile App not finding device

Over the past few months, something has happened that the Roku app continually says my device is not found if my tv has been on for more than 1 minute. To use the private listening I have to do a network connection test on the tv and then close the app on my phone, wait for the connection test to complete and then reopen the app after. Doing this makes my device found. But I don't understand why it continually says my tv is "asleep".  I've used the Roku app for years and never had this issue until the past few months. 

Issue on both Android and IOS phones. 

10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Mobile App not finding device

My guess is your problem is caused by a change introduced by Roku operating system version 10.5. It added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating any power saving options you find there will prevent your Roku from going into standby.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Kelsinko
Reel Rookie

That did not work.  My TV did not have any of the boxes checked under Power.

Jasonsny20
Reel Rookie

Mobile app cannot find connected devices

I am having this same issue. Updated all my devices. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. No devices found. 8 roku devices and it can’t find a single one @RokuDanny-R 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Mobile app cannot find connected devices

@Jasonsny20

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Is your mobile device on the same wireless network as your Roku devices? What Roku model devices are you using? What brand, model, and OS is your mobile device?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Me either. The app cannot find my tlc tv.  I've used the app w the TV before but it's been a while. I no longer have the Roku remote for this tv. Is the original remote needed to find the tv in the app. I have tried everything.

It doesn't find it manually either when I put in the ip address 192.168.11.26. Nothing. The app will not find my Roku tv.

0 Kudos
Jasonsny20
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

The issue is not being able to use private listening through the roku app. I have tried everything. I factory reset the device. Reset the network.  Rebooted the device while searching. Uninstalled and reinstalled the roku app on my phone. Even tried to manually connect. Nothing ever works. I did manage to get it to locate and find my one device for one sitting but then the app crashed and it wouldn’t connect again. As for the devices I have 8 but the most important is the bedroom tv. 

model 3810x - streaming stick+
software 11.5.0 - build 4235-50
iphone 14 pro max
app version 8.8.2

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jasonsny20

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
-DjD-

My iPhone, first Gen SE, yes, an old one, lost the connection to both of my Ultra Roku's.

Resetting my network connection on one of the Ultra Roku's fixed the connection to both Roku's.

On the Roku device go to Home down to Settings over to System over to About down to Advanced System Settings over to Factory Reset down to Network Connection Reset over to Reset Connection and press OK button on remote.

Then make new network connection:

From Home down to Settings over to Network over to About down to Set Up Connection over to Wireless press OK on remote then from the list of available networks choose the same wireless network as your phone then enter network password and choose Connect.

Good luck.

Doug