Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silvermangb
Reel Rookie

Is anyone able to use private listening for cable TV audio on the iPhone App?

I have had over a dozen emails with support and it the problem is not resolved. I cannot listen to audio from cable TV with private listening on the Ro

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
silvermangb
Reel Rookie

Re: Is anyone able to use private listening on the iPhone App?

I should have made it clear that it works when playing content from Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Is anyone able to use private listening for cable TV audio on the iPhone App?

@silvermangb

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you using an Roku TV or a Roku device? If you are using a Roku device, you will only be able to use the private listening feature when playing content through the actual Roku device, it will not work when watching content not through Roku.

With more specific information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
silvermangb
Reel Rookie

Re: Is anyone able to use private listening for cable TV audio on the iPhone App?

I am using the Roku Streambar Pro with a Samsung TV. The audio connection between the Roku and Samsung is via the optical cable, not the AEC-HDMI port, which the Samsung does not have. (It's an old, 2011 model.)

Private Listening of content played from apps on the Roku, Netflix, HBO MAX, etc, works on the Roku remote AND the Roku iPhone app.

When watching cable TV the audio plays through the Roku speakers AND the Private Listening on the Roku remote.

Finally, Private Listening on the Roku app when playing cable TV does not work. When electing private listening on the Roku app cable TV audio does not play on the Roku speakers or bluetooth headset connected to the iPhone, or the TV's speakers.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

When using the app, you cannot use Private Listening when the source is something connected to a Roku TV's HDMI inputs. So if you are using a cable box for your pay channels, the audio is not available via Private Listening. I just tested this a few weeks ago for someone else. OTA TV and the Roku channels all stream the audio. But anything connected to the TV there's no audio, and the Private Listening button is disabled. 

My guess is the soundbar is acting the same way a Roku TV does, in that it only provides sound for internal sources. No idea why they programmed it that way, but that's the way it seems to work.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
silvermangb
Reel Rookie

Private Listening with the Roku remote works for Roku, TiVo Bolt, TiVo Stream, Xfinity X1. Seems like it could and should work with the iPhone app.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I agree. No idea why the iOS app is programmed that way. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@silvermangb  You should suggest this as a feature upgrade, especially considering that it works with the official remote itself, but not the official remote app:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos