Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cjtorres12
Reel Rookie

Re: Private listening problem

When I go into settings and to the Roku app, there is nothing that says to clear anything 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cjtorres12,

Thanks for following up regarding the issue you are experiencing.

We apologized if it caused any difficulties when using the private listening feature. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing

1. Does it happen on channels? Provide an example channel and title.
  2. Was content playing when the headphones were used
  3. Does it happen all the time
  4. Did unplugging and replugging the headphone help resolve the issue or make things better?
  5. Did restarting the video/content being played resolve the issue?
  6. When private listening is enabled on a phone without headphones (using phone speakers), does the issue still happen?
  7. Have you tried taking a look here at our Support resources and following the steps to help resolve the issue? How to resolve an issue with private listening | Official Roku Support

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Cjtorres12
Reel Rookie

None of thee above. The remote on the app works just fine.  Everything BUT private listening.   As soon as you click on private listening it crashes and closes the app all together. My wife and I recently got iPhone 14 phones, private listening worked fine on our other phones. But it does this with both our phones.  

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cjtorres12,

Thanks for the quick response.

We'd like to gather more information to look closely into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • brand, model, and current OS that the mobile device is running
  • version of the Roku mobile app that your mobile device is using
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Coreyrjackson
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue. My wife and I both upgraded to iPhone 14 pros. Hers will find devices and private listening works. Mine will only connect manually by IP and as soon as I press private listening the app crashes. All untouched iPads still work fine, too. 

It’s clearly something on my phone. We had no issues prior and only my phone is having issues. I have 5 Rokus, various models. 

I have the same issue with the Roku Mobil app. I got a new phone (iPhone 13 mini) and I had to manually put in the ip address to connect my new phone to the TV (which seemed odd), and as soon as I click on private listening (or the headphone symbol) the app closes.  My old phone worked perfectly with the app’s private listening. Maybe it could be an issue with the newer Roku app update?

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Coreyrjackson @Astrombster,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you were having an issue using private listening through the Roku Mobile app on your iPhone. We're sorry to hear that you're having this experience and we will work with you to look closely into this issue. In order to do that, can you please provide the information that I requested above?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: IPhone 14 Pro Private listening crashes Roku app

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue regarding the private listening feature on the Roku mobile app that causes crashing.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is currently looking into the issue, but need more information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• How to Reproduce Issue
    • What is the Roku mobile app version on your mobile device?
    • Did you try the private listening feature when connected to a Bluetooth headset? If you did, what is the model and manufacturer of the Bluetooth headset?
    • What was the channel and the content being streamed on the Roku before tapping the private listening button on the app remote screen?
  • Network Setup
    • What is your router manufacturer and its model?
    • Was your mobile device connected to any VPN when you tried the private listening?
    • Is there any firewall configuration or security software running on the router?
  • When did you first notice the issue?
  • Would you be willing to participate in a potential fix program?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Coreyrjackson
Reel Rookie

@RokuMary-F 

I have 5 roku's.  None will connect automatically.  I can connect manually via IP and the remote functionality works.  As soon as I press private listening, the app crashes.

Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra

Serial: x0100HRPLDT

Software: 11.5.0 build 4312-C2

Device ID: S02A221RPLDT

Iphone 14 Pro

IOS 16.3.1

Roku Mobile App 8.11.0.47

I have another Iphone 14 pro, with the same software versions and it works fine.  As well as older model ipads.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Coreyrjackson,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We sincerely appreciate your patience regarding the issue of private listening using an iPhone. 

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We prioritize resolving this as soon as possible, and we ask that you bear with us as we manage this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos