Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: IP Address issues

Jump to solution

I'm in a hotel and my android phone and my roku Express device aren't connecting.

Its saying IP address not found. When I checked the IP addresses were different.

My phones is (172.17.93.10)

But my Roku device Is (172.17.62.10)

I dont know what to do???

Can someone help....

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Hotel networks have a security function enabled that blocks a connected device from seeing any other device on the network. Believe me, it's for your own computer safety, and you wouldn't want it turned off. But because of that, you can't use apps on devices to connect to other devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Sheryl_G_

Jump to solution

Hey Guys! i was using my chrome OS to download this and i had the same problem! I don't knowScreenshot 2020-09-30 at 10.23.09 PM.png if this will help but what i did was go to roku on google and i clicked the three dots on the right>> more tools>>Developer Tools>> On the left you will see a phone icon or something like that and press what kind of phone you want then you can have roku just like on your phone then refresh the page and There you go. I don't know if anyone else said this but i tried this and it worked!

0 Kudos
Dwhitacr

IP Address range issues using 198.162.xxx.xxx

Jump to solution

My issue is that I have my network set to a different IP range And the mobile app is denoting that it will not connect to it because it doesn't fall within a preset range I would like to find out why I cannot use my network that I have set up at my home and manually put and you will be put in the IP address and why the app is is not using is using what I put I put in and States that it is not it's not an allowable IP range

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: IP Address range issues using 198.162.xxx.xxx

Jump to solution

By international agreement, there are only three IP address ranges that should be used within private networks: 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255. If one choses to use a non-private address range, one must accept any possible limitations or problems that might occur due to their use. Your use of a public address range means to have to live with the issues that arise from that, and the unavailability of the Roku app is one of the limitations. 

There are many good reasons NOT to use public IP addresses on a private network, but I'm not going to discuss them here. However, I will mention one reason that is probably the most important: IP packets originating from or addressed to a private IP address cannot be routed through the public Internet. When you use public IP addresses, it's possible for your network to be accessible from the public Internet, and that's not a good thing security-wise. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Re: IP Address issues pt2

Jump to solution

Then how you fix your IP from being different? Seek help from WiFi provider or seek with roku supper team?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: IP Address issues pt2

Jump to solution

@Babydollcxc wrote:

Then how you fix your IP from being different? Seek help from WiFi provider or seek with roku supper team?

If you need assistance with your home network configuration, the first place to ask is your Internet provider (ISP). If they provided your router/modem, they probably have the ability to log into it and make changes. If you supplied the hardware yourself, then you have to take responsibility for its configuration. 

Roku support cannot provide assistance with configuring your home network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
linix

Save Manually Connected Device

Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

Super helpful, thanks. I am able to get the Roku app connect across subnets to 2 different devices when I use the "Get Help -> Connect Manually" option.

However, the app is not saving the Roku device that is on a different subnet from the phone that has the app. Have to connect manually every time.

Is there any way to get the app to "save"  the manually connected device from the other subnet?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Save Manually Connected Device

Jump to solution

If there’s no save button visible, my guess is they didn’t add that function to the app. Seems like a reasonable request though. 

Dan

0 Kudos