Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigbox
Reel Rookie

Re: Can’t connect on new iPhone 14 pro max

This is an extremely unsafe solution. What happens if the iphone restore fails?  Now your phone is borked.  No way will I erase my phone to try to get a broken app to work.

I've spent most of a day dinking around with this.  I've made sure the phone and device are on the same network and channel - in my network there is only one channel.  The software is up to date.  The phone allows the app to have local network access.  I've shut down, restarted, cycled power, etc. etc.  I am out of ideas and all out of patience.

The app's device discovery is clearly broken.  Looking back across the reports, it seems it has always been a somewhat broken feature and yet the app provides no manual configuration option as fallback. Indeed, it seems like manual IP configuration was removed from the app at some point.

It should allow manual IP configuration.  Let the user enter and save the Roku IP address.  From the local network side, the user can reserve the Roku IP address by adding it to the router's DHCP static IP table.  From there on, they're set.  And it's probably more robust over phone upgrades.

terry106sc
Binge Watcher

Re: Cannot connect New IPhone 14 Plus to Roku Devices using Roku App

None of the steps listed here work.  I am having the exact same problem is iPhone 14 pro max on iOS 16.4.  There are no Roku devices to be found.  I can't connect manually because the devices are not there.  Yet on another phone running a bit older version of iOS they are all there.  I use hearing aides and really need the Private Listening Option.  ROKU is NOT COMPATIBLE with iOS 16.4, it's as simple as that.  Please fix it.

All are on the same network, etc

speaker4thedead
Reel Rookie

Go into Wi-Fi settings and push the little blue i button. Then toggle off “private Wi-Fi address.” 

I’ve been struggling with this for a couple months and literally just figured it out on my device. 

@TBoro@terry106sc 

0 Kudos
TBoro
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion.  We did try this but unfortunately it didn’t work. The odd thing is we both upgraded our phones the same time. My app works fine not my wives, still will not connect.  

@speaker4thedead 

0 Kudos
terry106sc
Binge Watcher

I did try that and it didn’t work for me.  I still get the no devices found message. Thank you for the suggestion. 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @terry106sc

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Make sure both devices are on the same network and in the same band. If you are running iOS 14 or later, you must enable the Local Network setting on your mobile device for the Roku app. Go to Settings > Roku and enable the toggle for Local Network. Confirm your Roku TV is using a private IP address.
Most Wi-Fi routers create two separate networks for each Wi-Fi frequency band (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Though technically it shouldn’t matter if your phone and Roku are using different frequencies (both bands share the same subnet on your router so devices can talk to one another), to be absolutely sure, place both your phone and your Roku on the same Wi-Fi frequency band.
For other troubleshooting steps to connect the Roku Mobile app to your device please visit our Support page: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Karla

terry106sc
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the response.  I've been through each of the steps you mentioned along with those on the support page.  I've still got no devices showing up.  I am using iOS 16.4 and everything worked for me until I did the latest update.

As a side not, I have tossed out my  Roku Ultra and just went with a streaming stick but no luck.  I have 2 other TVs, both with differeing Roku devices yet the mobile app doesn't show any of them.  My iPad, whick is still on iOS 15.x has no problem seeing all of the devices on my network.

0 Kudos
TBoro
Channel Surfer

Hello @RokuKarla Thank you for the suggestions.  We went through these steps and unfortunately it still does not connect to any of the Roku devices on our network.  The settings are the same on both IPhones, both phones are running IOS 16.4, one phone connects to all the devices and one will not.  
We have also connected to a device manually. However when we connect to a second Roku it will no longer connect to the first device.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TBoro,

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you're seeing when you are trying to connect your iPhone to the Roku mobile app, along with all of the troubleshooting that you've done.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • mobile device brand, model, and OS version
  • Roku mobile app version
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TBoro
Channel Surfer

Hello @RokuMary-F ,

Thank you for your response. I decided to do more troubleshooting with the phone. Tried resetting the network setting and also erased all content and settings. Finally gave up and did a complete reset of the phone without resetting the ESIM. I did not restore from backup but manually set up everything and it worked. I can now see all the Roku devices on my network. 

0 Kudos