Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrssamuelj

Can't connect Roku app to device

I'm trying to connect my Roku app to the device since I don't have a remote. They're both on the exact same wifi. Yet, the app can't find the device or any devices (there's a total of 3 Rokus in this house all on the same network). I tried entering it manually, but then it tells me there's no device connected to that IP address when clearly there is. I have reset the device, reset the app, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, switched accounts, everything I know I could do. It still doesn't connect to the device. I tried to get an agent support but it finds all 3 devices then says none of them are available for agent support and I have no idea why.

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't connect Roku app to device

@mrssamuelj 

If you are unable to connect (or even find) any of the Roku devices with the Roku mobile app, verify that your mobile device (phone) is using wifi and connected to the same network as your Roku devices. (make sure you are not using your phone on the phone data, but actually connected to wifi network).

If you have verified the above, your router or network  may have in place some AP isolation rules preventing the discovery of your Roku devices.  (Look for something in router called AP isolation, Wireless/Wifi isolation, Network or Client isolation).  Additionally, verify you are not connected to the Guest Mode of your network as isolation rules are generally enabled by default.

Feel free to post back with model number of router if still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mrssamuelj Is this your private home network? What IP address range is being used? In rare occasions someone's home network is not using the proper private IP address ranges and the Roku app will not work on an IP network using non-private addresses. If your IP addresses all start with 192.168.x.x, you should be OK, and you need to look for the settings that @AvsGunnar mentioned. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Spcampy

My ruku tv and my cell phone are showing 2 different i.p adresses but i dont understand im using my own private internet for both devices i was able one time to get my tv to pair up with the ruku app but i accidently told it to forget the tv and now the ruku app will not find the same tv helppppp pleaseeee,🤬🤬

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Spcampy

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

Have you tried taking a look here in our Support resources and following the steps to help get connected? It includes troubleshooting steps and tips to help your Roku TV appear on the discovery screen. How to connect the Roku® mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi®

Please keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ebower19

I have 6 smart plugs that i can't conect to my phone i also have 5GH before the update in December I had no problem the app found all 6 plugs. Since I purchased a new phone the app des not recognize my plugs, i get a prompt no plug found,

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ebower19 this thread is about Roku players and the app. You are referencing Roku Home devices, which use a different app and are connecting different devices. You should create a new thread under the Roku Smart Home section. But I will say that the smart plugs and lights do not connect to 5 GHz WiFi. They only work on 2.4 GHz, so make sure your WiFi network has both radios (2.4 and 5 GHz) enabled. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Ramenisgud

What do you mean by “look in router” how do I get to those settings because I recently got a new router and that’s when these problems began for me as well.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Routers almost always have a web interface that you can log into to see and adjust its settings. I can't tell you how to log in without knowing the brand of router you have, and the IP address range of your network. You can tell the IP address range by looking at the network settings of anything that is connected to the network. Most likely your address range is 192.168.x.x, with the first x being a zero or one. The second x is the unique number assigned to that specific device, and will be different on every connected device. 

Dan

0 Kudos