Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cheeser64

Apple Streaming error when using Roku. Only with Apple TV

Jump to solution

When ever I use Apple TV I get an error message saying it cannot play the video.

I spoke,to an Apple Rep and he told me to unplug Roku for 3 minutes. I did this and seemed to work...for a week. Today I received the same error message. Only when using Apple. Netflix, Paramount and Prime all work great.

Can I assume  this is a compatibility issue with Roku and Apple?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Apple Streaming error when using Roku. Only with Apple TV

Jump to solution

Warm greetings from the Roku Community, @Cheeser64!

We appreciate you letting us know about the error message you've been receiving from the Apple TV channel, and we'd like to offer further troubleshooting steps to help you get back on streaming.

In addition to what @renojim provided, kindly try to follow the steps provided below to help you troubleshoot the channel:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

If the issue persists after doing so, we suggest contacting the Apple TV Support team for further clarification and assistance. Please be advised that the majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel providers themselves. Their channel may need an update from them. 

In the meantime, we have a support article dedicated to how to solve a playback issue.

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime,

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It's hard to say.  It's easier to say that Roku devices just need to be restarted occasionally to clear up weirdness like this.  It's generally the first thing suggested to try when there's any problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Warm greetings from the Roku Community, @Cheeser64!

We appreciate you letting us know about the error message you've been receiving from the Apple TV channel, and we'd like to offer further troubleshooting steps to help you get back on streaming.

In addition to what @renojim provided, kindly try to follow the steps provided below to help you troubleshoot the channel:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

If the issue persists after doing so, we suggest contacting the Apple TV Support team for further clarification and assistance. Please be advised that the majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel providers themselves. Their channel may need an update from them. 

In the meantime, we have a support article dedicated to how to solve a playback issue.

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime,

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
cosmicpea
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think it may be some kind of incompatibility because I have the same problem with Apple TV Plus and I don't have it with any of the other 40 apps on my Roku. Plus it happens frequently. Three weeks ago there was a regional problem that hit some users on East Coast only -- it was reported on Reddit and DownDetector, but I continue to have the same problem every other time I try and start a program on Apple. It plays for up to one minute and stops. I have to unplug and replug.

This is recent as the last two times I had a sub to Apple TV + it did not happen.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @cosmicpea.

We appreciate you letting us know about being unable to access the Apple TV channel on your Roku player. We're here to find you the best resolution and get you back on streaming. 

Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps provided above post to help you resolve this. If the issue persists, kindly provide us with the details below so we can coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Channel build version.

In the meantime, we also recommend reaching out to Apple TV Support and letting them know about the playback issues you've been having with their channel. Please be advised that the majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider.

We'll be looking forward to your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos