Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elbow
Channel Surfer

App not available

Jump to solution

Oh for pity's sake Roku:

Screenshot

Does everything have to be such a struggle.  Yes, I know you don't sell Roku hardware in South Africa.  But have you not heard of the small world, Amazon Global Shipping and all the rest.

It will take me 5 minutes to find an APK, but why must I have to fight to use your product?  Just tick the box and make the app available.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: App not available

Jump to solution

@elbow 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku mobile app is currently only available in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, France, Guatemala, Honduras, Ireland, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

For more information about the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How do I install the Roku® mobile app?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku units work anywhere in the world where they can get a broadband internet connection, independent of where they are purchased. The individual channels, however can only operate where their charters and program rights and licensing issues permit them to operate.

Few channels own the programming they show. Most have to license the right to stream their content from the program owners, and those rights are usually tied to specific countries or geographic regions. Sometimes even the program owners can't distribute in a country because they've sold exclusive rights in that country to someone else.

To receive the channels on your Roku that are authorized for your current location these must all agree:
- The country of the IP used when creating your Roku account. If you've moved from the country in which you created your account, you may need to create a new one in your present location, then link your Roku to the new account.
- The country of the IP used for your current Roku session.
- The countries in which each channel app operates.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
elbow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi,

My issue is not with the behaviour of my Roku.  I can get the channels I want.

Bit I can’t install the Roku app on my Android phone because you don’t make it available in the South African play store for some reason...??

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@elbow wrote:

Hi,

My issue is not with the behaviour of my Roku.  I can get the channels I want.

Bit I can’t install the Roku app on my Android phone because you don’t make it available in the South African play store for some reason...??

For that one, you'll have to wait for an answer from somebody actually associated with Roku.  Sorry.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@elbow 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku mobile app is currently only available in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, France, Guatemala, Honduras, Ireland, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

For more information about the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How do I install the Roku® mobile app?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
elbow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

What is the reason for not publishing in all app stores?  Surely you have users all around the world, why would you prevent me from running your app?

Thanks,
Elbow

ysfsuleman

Jump to solution

Another South African unable to download the app. Purchased and setup my Roku today. Everything worked fine until I had to get the app for Android... not available in the country.

Very disappointing.

DJJones

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm Polish-American. So, the problem with the mobile app exists also in Poland [iOS], in US there's no problem at all.

What is the reason for you (Roku Team) to block the mobile app for other countries? We're paying customers, buying your products all around the world. Roku mobile app has nothing to do with TV provider licenses and their content. I'm using i.e. Plex Player app on Roku to connect and stream from my very own, private Plex Server - but can't use Roku remote app on iOS in Poland. Shame on you Roku!

Roku is a best player I know for years. Please open it for the rest of the world.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andre1969

Jump to solution

Another disappointed South African Roku purchaser - no app in the SA Istore.... Please fix this?

wicked76
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there a solution to this issue of the Roku App only being available in certain Countries?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos