Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eye1care

Roku Soundbridge (legacy) software updates unavailable

Roku sold a popular streaming player (Roku Soundbridge M1001 and M2000) which have since been discontinued.  These players received software/firmware updates made available directly from the Roku site. 

For unknown reasons, Roku no longer has these updates available on their site for downloading. 

Many of us still love and use the Roku Soundbridge and need these updates available (like after doing a factory reset).  

Could Roku please put these updates back on their site for us to download? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Soundbridge (legacy) software updates unavailable

Hi @eye1care,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be delighted to assist you further. The device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means this device will no longer get new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. If you haven't already upgraded your device, you should have received an email with offers to purchase a new player at a discounted price. You can also access this offer by signing into your Roku account and visiting the following website here.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                            John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cfourrou
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Soundbridge (legacy) software updates unavailable

Our amazing SoundBridges are certainly not dead. I use mine everyday. The community has figured out cool ways to keep them working but, unfortunately, when I try to give technical details, someone edits them out of the post and locks the thread. So we discuss those details elsewhere and you have to search to find them. 
My SoundBridge can:
  Display the correct time
  play radio stations that have moved to https.
  search an online database of thousands of stations by genre
  play mp3s stored in iTunes

I will continue to work to keep them running for as long as possible.

But the firmware is no longer available and it doesn't seem likely it ever will be again.
If you buy a SoundBridge used, you will be stuck with whatever version it has on it.
So a new-old-stock still in the package deal from the 'bay' might not be as good an option as a well used one. Because the new one never got updated back in 'the day'. But I have seen new old stock M1001's, still in the bubble pack, with a piece of paper in them that say they came from the factory with version 3 firmware. those would be the good ones to find.

A M1001 is better than a M1000 or M500.
M500's wifi is just about done.

Some early M1001's said 'M1000' on the front panel. if the connections are on the back, it's a M1001
if they are on the side under the endcap it's a M1000. 
I don't have an M2000. I wish I did.

The newest firmware version I've seen is 3.0.52
There are a lot of units out there with 3.0.44, and they work great.
Any thing older than that and you start having problems we can't fix.
For example, 2.7.38 can do wifi with some security, but can't connect to an online database of radio stations.

Let's not forget the R1000. Super cool model. Great sound from the built in speakers.

In short, if your SoundBridge is running 3.0.44 or higher, keep it. We can do this.

"Let the Music Play...Again!"

Chris

0 Kudos