Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickMV
Channel Surfer

Connect Roku Express+ through a receiver

My TV does not have an HDMI port but my stand alone receiver which is connected to the TV does have one.  Can I connect my Roku device to the TV through the receiver?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connect Roku Express+ through a receiver

Probably not.  The receiver would have to be able to convert an HDMI input into something the TV can use.  Does the receiver have some kind of video output?  What's the make and model number of the receiver?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I think many AVRs can do a variety of conversions.  For example, my TV is connected to my Yamaha AVR only by HDMI, but the devices connected to the AVR use HDMI, component, and composite.  You’ll probably need to look at the manual and/or specs to make sure though. I bought mine way back in 2008 and I think some of that era only switched and didn’t convert.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
RickMV
Channel Surfer

Its a Yamaha 5.1 Channel Receiver 4065  (674065)

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I googled up this manual:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/327930/HTR-4065_Manual.pdf

The picture on page 96 makes me think it can’t convert. Otherwise, I would expect crossing lines between those inputs and outputs.  However, I have only quickly skimmed it.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
RickMV
Channel Surfer

You are probably right.  I connected my legacy Roku Express+ to the receiver and got sound but no picture.  The TV is analog and I think the problem is that the analog cable on my Roku has a short.  I ordered a new one which hopefully fix all of this.  Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There are quite a number of AVRs that will transcode the HDMI connection to analog. However, it's possible the aspect ratio that ends up on the screen might not be acceptable, since the Roku has no controls for that. It all depends on what the AVR is capable of, but the more capable ones are going to be pricy. You would probably be better off trying a HDMI to analog converter box, as those are mostly under $50. 

That said, the Roku Express+ has analog outputs (it was the last model with them), so you should be able to use that connection (instead of the HDMI) and get an acceptable picture. And that particular Roku does have aspect ratio control when using the analog outputs. And re-reading your last post I see you have tried the analog cable and perhaps it's defective.

But the problem with any of these solutions is you are still watching a standard def image. Even the best analog displays pale in comparison to even low cost flat panel HDTVs today.

Your Roku Express+ is 6-7 years old (depending on which model it is, there's two versions) and is really marginal for today's channels. It's lacking 4K/HDR, dual band WiFi, and has a much slower processor than the latest models. It's also really lacking in both operational memory and channel storage space. Really,  I strongly suggest looking into a new Roku as well as a modern HDMI equipped display. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@RickMV Don't spend much trying to convert to an analog signal or you will spend almost as much as a new TV.  I don't know how big your TV is but you can purchase 55 inch TVs today for less than $300

0 Kudos