Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odysseus
Reel Rookie

3400X install stuck on language selection

Trying to install my 3400X to another TV, but after the "ROKU" dance ends, it goes to language selection, but does not respond to the remote at all. 3 sets new batteries in remote, but nada.

Don't know if the problem is in the stick or the remote, but was able to pair the remote to another Roku device, so don't think it is the problem.

Also anyone know how to find the serial # on a 3400X?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: 3400X install stuck on language selection

The remote uses Wi-Fi, is there any interference near the TV?

Try an HDMI pigtail to move it away from the TV. Are you using a power brick, or the USB power from the TV? Try a good Roku Power Brick with at least 1.2A on 5V.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

I might also suggest a new hard reset with the reset button. “Stuck on the language screen” may actually be a system crash or hang. If the system hangs at that point, the screen will remain frozen there.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Odysseus 

Are you certain it's a model 3400 Roku Stick? Those connect to an MHL port. It connected to the "Roku Ready" line of TVs that some manufacturers made, that included an MHL port. Some TVs came with an MHL Stick (3400 or 3420) included. Is that how you got yours?

Or ... if it's a really old Stick, are you sure it's not a model 3500, which is an HDMI Streaming Stick?

Either way, remotes aren't available for the 3400/3420 or the 3500 sticks anymore.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Odysseus
Reel Rookie

Thanks for all the input.

I did a bit of googling of images and came up with 3400 that way. Not sure at all as there is nothing on the stick to identify it.

Also there is no USB port for power. It takes it's power from a MHL/HDMI port. I have the remote that came with it, but the stick no longer responds to the remote.

It is older than the SAM hills, and I do not remember when I bought it or from whom?

At this point it is only a challenge to get it working so that I can give it to someone who might be happy with the slow speed of this ancient device.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Odysseus 

If it gets power from the port, then yes, it is an MHL Stick. And, the TV itself must be an MHL port. If you're seeing content on the screen, that is, the stick is powering, then it's an MHL port.

I never used one of those devices, mostly because I never had a TV with an MHL port, so I can't say with certainty this next bit. I think the remote actually was configured for the TV. If that's not the same model TV, then it might not work. I will defer to @Tivoburkee who knows as much about the various Roku remotes as anybody, and more than most.

I'm thinking you may be unsuccessful in getting it to work if it's a different TV, but if @Tivoburkee says otherwise, listen to him.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

I've never used an MHL device, so I'm at a loss.

However, with the age of the device, you may just be looking at age related failures.

Once, I brought a dead Roku Stick 3500 back to life with a heat reflow. Took off the case, set it on two aluminum foil balls, and set it in a hot (350-450 degree)  toaster over for 10 minutes and let it cool. This is NOT RECOMMENDED, and was just a last-ditch effort before I scrapped the unit. Miraculously, it worked. 

Here is a tutorial about home reflow https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/59 - make sure all plastic is removed or protected. See also: http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm

0 Kudos
atc98092

An MHL device is controlled using the remote that is provided by the TV, not a separate remote. It gets its power and control through the MHL port. If this is truly a 3400, it will only work on a TV with an MHL port. Also note the 3400 is no longer supported by Roku, and is incapable of running many of the latest channels. It's also really old, and has very little power compared to newer Roku players. Honestly, it's not worth reviving. Not when an Express 4K+ is available for under $40 and is far, far more capable. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos