Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savedon911

Browser availabilty via an app on Roku

Jump to solution

Roku needs a browser to access internet options. Firestick has apps. Please make a browser app available on Roku.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Browser availabilty via an app on Roku

Jump to solution

@Savedon911 

I often see this request for a browser for the Roku and am in disagreement with those requests.

First, eats up memory resources.  A laptop/computer/mobile device better suited for browsing.  Connect these directly to your TV via HDMI adapters/cables/wifi and you have a faster internet TV.

Second, there are TV's with built-in browsers if such is needed at integrated TV level.

Third, opening up the platform to browser function only introduces security concerns.

Fourth, as you mentioned, other devices already have this feature.  Since these various streaming devices are relatively inexpensive, can simply add these additional devices to the TV and use the features of each one when needed.

Fifth, there are apps available in the Play/Apple Stores that will allow you to cast web video content to the Roku devices using a mobile device.

----

In any instance that I have come across, I have found connecting my laptop directly to the TV via HDMI cable is the easiest way to have "internet browsing on my TV".  I do not see any instance where having a browser available to the Roku device would be a better solution. 

I sure am open to hearing the opposing opinion though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Savedon911 

I often see this request for a browser for the Roku and am in disagreement with those requests.

First, eats up memory resources.  A laptop/computer/mobile device better suited for browsing.  Connect these directly to your TV via HDMI adapters/cables/wifi and you have a faster internet TV.

Second, there are TV's with built-in browsers if such is needed at integrated TV level.

Third, opening up the platform to browser function only introduces security concerns.

Fourth, as you mentioned, other devices already have this feature.  Since these various streaming devices are relatively inexpensive, can simply add these additional devices to the TV and use the features of each one when needed.

Fifth, there are apps available in the Play/Apple Stores that will allow you to cast web video content to the Roku devices using a mobile device.

----

In any instance that I have come across, I have found connecting my laptop directly to the TV via HDMI cable is the easiest way to have "internet browsing on my TV".  I do not see any instance where having a browser available to the Roku device would be a better solution. 

I sure am open to hearing the opposing opinion though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Savedon911 @AvsGunnar 

Actually, Roku does install/provide a browser for all of their supported products:  Roku Browser (current version 84.10.13) is a hidden middleware app (first provided last year) based on/off Chromium that allows Roku-provided-app/UX/UI experiences/functionality that would otherwise not be possible.

Check Third Party Licenses:  Settings/System/Third party licenses second paragraph

https://go.roku.com/oss/chromium-84-10-13  (currently not working, violates open source license provisions)

Ironically, when first offered this (very large) app caused memory/resource instability issues (due to poor memory management code/handling in RokuOS itself) for Small Memory (512MB) models, forcing Roku to withdraw/remove it for a time until they (somewhat) fixed the OS memory management issues.

Regardless a browser does exist, and clearly is viable at this point resource-wise on all supported models, but Roku has decided against making its full functionality available to customers via the UI (go figure).

You can always send feedback to Roku asking/demanding that they provide a customer facing UI/access:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

Jw22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Fifth, there are apps available in the Play/Apple Stores that will allow you to cast web video content to the Roku devices using a mobile device.”

Yes. there are apps but good ones are not free. They require either subscription or purchase for full functionality. There is also no guarantee that these apps can still work with your future software updates.  If you are concerned about the memory issue on the device, a good solution is to add a mobile browser in your remote app and supports casting.

I have found Roku’s built-in casting function is limited (for chromecast) and unreliable (for airplay). “Web video caster” used a Roku channel for much better casting. Why Roku cannot have that feature as build-in?

0 Kudos
Xerxes910
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would agree with you on most your points if my Roku device was not a RokuTV. With my RokuTV not having a web browser it causes extreme headaches for me, let me explain. I work for a major sports league and as an employee I have access to games through their videocast internal website. The broadcast runs in a browser and does not work through casting or on mobile devices. My coworker has a Samsung TV and it works perfectly, but I have to hook up my laptop through an HDMI connection which then I cannot easily control through my TV remote. I have to get up and use the laptop touchpad to access the broadcast controls. It's 2023, Roku not having a browser on RokuTVs is just silly.