Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Vimeo users check your thumbnails

For anyone using Vimeo hosting platform, yet likely hand coding json, check your channel & thumbnails. Seems they did a changeover which gave new urls for thumbnail images, and they old ones are now defunct, displaying only color bars. I had some trouble with the new ones not always showing either, and reached out to Vimeo support. There's a thread in the regular developers section as well.

3 REPLIES 3
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Vimeo users check your thumbnails

Never really heard back, but I recoded them manually (about 300 of them).  There's two ways to do it, I was able to follow along these steps for an API GET request (sounds complex, but I'm not great at coding/server knowledge but was able to follow along).   https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409973487117-Fixing-Video-Thumbnails-in-Custom-Applicat...

Otherwise, if you set your video to public, and click its shorter public/normal url, you will see a little thumbnail of it plus other videos on the bottom right. Right click it and select 'Open Image In New Tab" and it opens a bigger image of it. Just add    _800x450  to the end of it to resize it as 800x450 or whatever you need (Direct Publisher needs that sizing I believe)

0 Kudos

Hello! This is my first post, but I have been reading the forum and docs for the last 2 months trying to navigate my channel launch. I have learned very much from all users here, thank you!

I am having trouble getting anything more than the "about" and "search" icons on my Direct Publisher test channel, and am trying to determine if I am facing the Direct Publisher bug that I have read so much about or if the problem is with errors in my JSON content feed.

I have used @Baradanikto's JSON Feed Manager to validate my feed, and am getting an error for each thumbnail. The thumbnails appear in Roku's channel preview image and my content feed appears to ingest correctly in Roku. I also see Thumbnail preview images in the JSON Feed Manager.

I followed the API get request instructions from the above post from @37mediagroup and collected my thumbnail base links from Vimeo, to which I added "_800x400". The links open in a browser and are sized correctly.

This is an example of the links that I am using:

https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/1462104871-290b91ccf4fd7e1f932bfe980c0dbcdc6f3779a3ee4d13986528b7062a86...

Am I missing a step, or should these thumbnails be fine for Roku?

Thank you! Any advice is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@Televisionquest You can contact me at my GitHub site in my signature if you need help with the messages you are receiving.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.