Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saminster
Reel Rookie

Playlist doesnt show on roku after adding channel

Using sample feed given by roku and online author says was successful to test.  Playlist will not display no matter what i do.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Playlist doesnt show on roku after adding channel

The sample feed has some errors.  If you inspect the Playlist object in the feed, you'll see that some of the ids are incorrect.  For example, the playlist specifies a content id of "video8-detailsScreen-part1", but, there's no content object with that id.  This seems to be a simple case of manually coding the feed file and not paying attention to detail.

Incorrect ids will not display.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
saminster
Reel Rookie

Here is the feed after adjusting to my needs.  It ingests fine, but again, it doesn't display playlist.  It refreshes and I have removed and added station again to no luck.

{
"providerName": "Feet on the Rock",
"language": "en-US",
"lastUpdated": "2022-11-05T18:12:32.125Z",
"tvSpecials": [
{
"id": "20170205",
"title": "The Eyes and Ears of a Christian",
"shortDescription": "The Eyes and Ears of a Christian",
"name": "Pastor Paul Vincent",
"role": "Speaker",
"thumbnail": "http://hopepoint.s3.amazonaws.com/Sermon-Stills/this-is-all-that-matters.jpg",
"genres": [ "faith" ],
"tags": [ "faith" ],
"releaseDate": "2022-10-01",
"content": {
"dateAdded": "2022-11-01T14:14:54.431Z",
"captions": [],
"duration": 60,
"videos": [
{
"url": "https://www.feetontherock.org/seminars/Anatomy4_1.mp4",
"quality": "SD",
"videoType": "MP4"
}
]
}
}
],

"playlists": [
{
"name": "recent-messages",
"itemIds": [ "20170205" ]
}
],
"categories": [
{
"name": "Recent Messages",
"playlistName": "recent-messages",
"order": "manual"
}
]
}

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm not sure of the timing of your changes, but, be aware that Roku does not update your feed immediately. It may take upwards of 6 hours to take affect.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
saminster
Reel Rookie

It has now gone much more than 6 hours and still nothing.  Let me ask this, if the video I am using is coming from my own website (direct link) and is a mp4 file, the url I am using is the url to that file (https://www.feetontherock.org/seminars/Anatomy_4.mp4).  I use that url in a browser and the player comes up and plays it.  I am using video type (from feed).  Am I missing something there?  Do I need another streamer like vimeo?  Maybe that is why it isn't loading...??

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

It's not a good idea to host your video content on your own server if it is not configured as a Content Delivery Network (CDN).  That's why Roku channel developers typically use Vimeo, Amazon S3, and other services that are designed to handle the performance requirements for streaming content. 

Having said that, I noticed that the two URLs you posted do not match.  One cannot be found, while the other plays without sound.

0 Kudos
saminster
Reel Rookie

So I uploaded the video to vimeo and used that link as well as corrected the thumbnail link.  It ingested the json.  It finally refreshed this morning at 6am, yet it did not solve the problem.

I am using 3900x Roku Express.  The channel boxes appear and splash, but still no playlist.

With vimeo, I am providing the link  https://player.vimeo.com/video/767691236?h=43fac002e4 as the URL.  

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

First, make sure you're using the latest Roku OS.  Second, there are plenty of posts on this forum that talk about using Vimeo as a content host.  I use Amazon S3, so, I haven't run into the problems that are reported.  One of the reported problems refers to the Vimeo url that you use in your feed file.  From reading some of the posts, I assume that there's a specific url that Roku requires from Vimeo.  I'm not sure how you obtain it.  You'll need to search further in the forum.

0 Kudos