Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peaktv
Channel Surfer

I cant get past the feed validation - this is as simple as it gets. JSON Feed manager.

Jump to solution

https://github.com/peaktv/roku/blob/main/roku.json

IVe been at this for 3 days. I havent written code in 20 years. I am using github.com/json feed manager. 

I stripped this down to the bare minumum. one video, one thumbnail. 3 min clip. no matter what I do this error will not go away. 

The server returned an unsupported content type. Was expecting 'application/rss+xml', 'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/json' but received 'text/html; charset=utf-8

I even took the developers test json file and compared it. I just cant seem to locate the issue. any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: I cant get past the feed validation - this is as simple as it gets. JSON Feed manager.

Jump to solution

I use Amazon S3.  However, if you search this forum, you'll find many other options for hosting your content. 

Keep in mind, Roku recommends using a CDN. With that in mind, make sure when uploading your feed file that you use a content type of "application/JSON".

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: I cant get past the feed validation - this is as simple as it gets. JSON Feed manager.

Jump to solution

I think your problem is the choice of where you are hosting the feed file.  GitHub is not the best place to host a feed file.  What are you using for the feed url in the developer portal?  Have you tried using the "raw" address?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/peaktv/roku/main/roku.json
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
peaktv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

https://github.com/peaktv/roku/blob/main/roku.json

this is exactly what I have pasted in on roku. I only used github frankly because thats where I found your app. . . I can move it . .  . Im not married to anything. . . 

0 Kudos
peaktv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

im gonna try that feed url you suggested sir

0 Kudos
peaktv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

the raw url failed - same message. ..  do you have a different/better raw host place?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I use Amazon S3.  However, if you search this forum, you'll find many other options for hosting your content. 

Keep in mind, Roku recommends using a CDN. With that in mind, make sure when uploading your feed file that you use a content type of "application/JSON".

0 Kudos
peaktv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

thank you sir. . . Im just gonna go with ottfeed.com . . . Its been years since i wrote code- and Im dated and I left that world for a reason. As a real sports production company I feel we probably should focus on what we do best. I just really loved the control your product offered. I took a shot that I might be able to direct publish. While I feel we could do it, its better suited that we get the content up and free up our content production resources. BTW I commend your product, its the only game in town and Im sure it was a challenge to make it - its an awesome tool. . .I appreciate your time-Have a great day!

0 Kudos