Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bj_barretta
Binge Watcher

Direct published a channel via Vimeo Showcase; no videos are showing up on my Roku channel

Hi, 

When I previewed my channel from my Vimeo Showcase feed using the preview link all my videos were in my channel. When my channel went live today, I added it on another Roku device and there are no videos. The URL feed status on my dashboard has a green checkmark and it says all 28 of my videos were ingested. Is this a situation where since my channel is new, I have to wait for it to populate? In between testing my channel and it going live, I did add new videos to my Vimeo showcase and refreshed the feed. Could that have gummed anything up? Thank you!

This is my channel:  https://my.roku.com/account/add/goodvibrations

goodvibrationsmedia.com
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
bj_barretta
Binge Watcher

Re: Direct published a channel via Vimeo Showcase; no videos are showing up on my Roku channel

Thanks again for your prompt replay @AaronMSpelling!

Since I did the work in Vimeo already, do you know if there are there any intermediary feed builders that will reference/import/ingest my vimeo library so I don't have to start from scratch? 

Thanks!

goodvibrationsmedia.com
0 Kudos
bj_barretta
Binge Watcher

Re: Direct published a channel via Vimeo Showcase; no videos are showing up on my Roku channel

Quick update for those who come across this thread trying to diagnose a similar problem:

I saw on a Reddit thread that sometimes it takes a while for videos to show up in a new Vimeo showcase direct publish channel. Overnight the channel populated with videos. But what was finally published was an older version of the channel with multiple categories (I learned during my development of my channel that Vimeo Showcase only allows 1 category so, if you have multiple categories, they won't populate correctly). I had updated my channel (or so I thought) with just one category and that's what I saw when I tested the channel and channel preview link. 

I republished the channel, which is set to be released 10am PST tomorrow. I'm hopeful the update will fix the category issue. 

If you are a Vimeo showcase direct publisher and run into issues, please reach out - hopefully by then I would have solved the issues plaguing my channel. Hopefully now that I got my feet wet, when I have more time I can dig in a little more with a better feed builder and create a more robust channel.

goodvibrationsmedia.com

I am having same issues with my videos not publishing on my Roku Channel.  I have 3 categories set, but have played with 1, 2 or 3... and still nothing..

I see Goodvibrations has all their videos up now (i did add channel to see the issues that started this thread)

Were you able to resolve to get Roku to ingest and show your vimeo videos?  Unfortunaely,  I'm stuck on the Vimeo annual plan (one business and one pro).  But if there is another work around option, that would be great and very much appreciated.

By the way... ..  I have one channel published and one channel unpublished.  Both have same issue of not showing my videos.   I don't know  if this is a ROKU issue or a VIMEO issue

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I may be wrong, but I think there's an issue with Vimeo using Categories, and possibly you can only use 1 category on the Vimeo side. Or maybe the Roku side.  Are you sure you're entering tags or defining the category? 

Search the forum here for Vimeo, there's been numerous threads the last 6 months or so on similar subjects. Alternative is coding it in json. Depending how many videos you have might be a good solution.

0 Kudos
bj_barretta
Binge Watcher

With Vimeo, you can only have one category. You have to adjust the json or use a third party, service like ottfeed.com, which I used.

goodvibrationsmedia.com
0 Kudos
bj_barretta
Binge Watcher

Hi, I thought I replied to this yesterday, but it doesn't look like it posted after I submitted it.

Roku and Vimeo don't play well together. At least they hadn't last January and it looks like things haven't improved. It's very limited if it works at all. 

I tried everything and came to the conclusion that you can only create a channel that works reliably if you use a third-party service to help create a json from your Vimeo that plays nicely with your Roku (or learn how to code yourself). ottfeed.com is what I used and I couldn't be happier. Personally, I was hesitant to sign up for another service, thinking I could do it myself, but after weeks of messing with my channel with no results, using ottfeed fixed it in a couple of hours and it's so much more robust. I'm really happy with how my channel turned out with no knowledge of json and coding. 

goodvibrationsmedia.com
0 Kudos
CM-B
Reel Rookie

@bj_barretta Do you mind me asking how much you pay for ottfeed.com? I am currently trying a provider called: videofeedbuilder.com which is $40/month but we have noticed that there is a cap of 40 videos per category. Do you know if OTTFeed has the same issue?

We've also looked into tappla.com and they've told us they won't have that 40 video limit but their Roku platform is not out yet.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

There's a general misunderstanding of these limits.  The number of videos is not limited to 40 per category (row).  According to Roku Partner Success, the limit is imposed on the number of "items", not, videos.  This is a significant distinction since an "item" can be a Series with multiple Seasons/Episodes.  From Partner Success:

Is there a limit on how many categories/rows or videos I can have in a Direct Publisher channel?
 Pam
2 years ago Updated
Issue
Limit on number of content and content categories.  

Environment
Direct Publisher 

Answer
There is a limit of:

25 categories (rows)
40 items per category (row)

Please note, the response states "40 items per category (row)".  If this is not correct, the documentation is at fault once again.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Oliver1234
Reel Rookie

My Vimeo doesn’t work either on my direct Chanel please tell me who I can use 

0 Kudos