Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zave
Binge Watcher

Direct Publisher JSON Feed using Amazon s3/Cloudfront as my CDN

@Baradanikto 

Can you tell me what's wrong here?  I uploaded myJSON to myCDN (Amazon s3/ Cloudfront distro) and copied the URL to where my feed is located in AWS, but i'm getting a consistent error (below).

Note: I also tried using all the Video Formats below as well.

Can anyone help?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 00.37.16.png

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Direct Publisher JSON Feed using Amazon s3/Cloudfront as my CDN

The url you posted is not a Cloudfront url.  It should look something like

http://026550cf85f84b.cloudfront.net/...

More importantly, the url you posted is not accessible from a browser.  I think the error is thrown because Roku cannot access your feed file and determine the video format.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

@Baradanikto Thx for your reply!  I thought it had to be a secure URL (eg: https://...) Is that not the case?

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

@Baradanikto

The below error is what I get when I tried to use the Cloudfront URL per your suggestion.  I'm sure there's something missing in the URL (perhaps the actual JSON file)?

When I append the JSON file to this URL, I get the an error as well (see below):

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 13.14.00.png

When I append to the URL,I get the following below:

Json feed file appendedJson feed file appended

Which 1 of these Objects should I Append to the Cloudfront URL?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 13.22.01.png

@AaronMSpelling ,

Here's what returned when I input the Cloudfront URL in my browser:

Cloudfront URLCloudfront URL

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I don't think the URL for the feed needs "https". The URL should be the Cloudfront bucket you specified and the name of the feed file.  Your feed file name looks incorrect because it contains "+".  

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

@Baradanikto ,

Ok so I tried renaming the Json Feed File (essentially removing "+"...) and I'm still getting the error (see below).  At this point, I'd like it if you could post a solution, which includes an example of what the validated URL out of Amazon S3/Cloudfront CDN actually does look like and has proven to work successfully on the Roku OTT Platform.  Please sir.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 14.27.38.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 14.37.23.png

@AaronMSpelling  - would you have an example of a validated URL out of Cloudfront that's currently running a channel on Roku with success?

Zave

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I agree with @AaronMSpelling .  You may have an error in your feed file.  The last url you posted looks OK assuming there are no spelling errors.  Additionally, have you made sure that the S3 bucket is public?

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

@Baradanikto @AaronMSpelling 

A sample of the json feed file attached.  That said, I don't think it's a format or build issue.   Not able to find a successful Cloudfront URL that I could emulate?  Or how about suggesting how to tweak the Roku Sample JSON Feed file.  Any one of those solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 15.21.06.png

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

As I indicated, your updated CloudFront URL looks OK.  Have you made sure the S3 bucket is "public"?  And, have you tried changing the video format to ".mp4"?

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

@Baradanikto

So I changed the s3 bucket to "public" per your suggestion (see below) and still get the same result/error.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 17.16.12.png

I also tried "MP4" as my video format option; in fact, I tried all options (see below).

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 17.17.07.png

Direct Publisher JSON Feed using Amazon s3/Cloudfront as my CDN 

Can Anyone produce a JSON Feed file with Amazon S3/Cloudfront URL that's currently running on the Roku Platform?  Or can you suggest how to tweak the Roku Sample Feed URL to make it work for my channel?

0 Kudos