Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kleinzeit
Channel Surfer

Roku Update 11.0.0 - external hard drive no long recognized

Jump to solution

Since the 11.0.0 update my external USB drive, which had been working perfectly for years, wasn't recognized by my Roku 3. I tried a brand new USB drive of similar type - same result. Both drives are NTFS file systems, both work perfectly when connected to a computer.

I tried using a couple of USB thumb drives, FAT file system, instead - they work perfectly.

I'm aware of at least one other person (on reddit) having the same issue, also stumped about what it could be.

It's a very irritating problem, along with Roku's disinclination to provide support for this model (which will certainly influence my choice of what to buy next).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidAM
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Update 11.0.0 - external hard drive no long recognized

Jump to solution

UPDATE!!! 4/26/2022 10PM EDT

I just updated to BUILD 4184-11

And my external USB HDD is now working in Roku Media Player.

They've resolved it!

Update your firmware!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I posted a very similar issue to this Support over two weeks ago.  It is title "Roku 3 no longer recognizes Seagate external USB".  Unfortunately I do not know how to send you a link to this in a reply.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@EvilBert1 

I believe you are still here.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Roku-3-no-longer-recognizes-Seag...

---

You can always go to your Profile, see where you last posted, go to that posting, and then copy the address from your web browser.  Then just paste. (Or you can use the little chain icon above).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Kleinzeit
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I found your post, thanks for letting me know. Can I assume there's been no resolution or even reaction from Roku about this?

It seems clear that NTFS is broken, though the error message when the connection attempt is made still lists it as one of the acceptable file systems. I would love to know if they intend to fix the technical problem (or correct the error message).

Thanks again...we live in hope.

0 Kudos
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Other than a person asking me for more information over a week ago, I have seen no progress on this matter.  

Mare7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm now having the same issue with my Roku 2 4210x. I'll post my device info here in case it helps. serial 5F461E092326, software: 11.0.0 build 4180-04. I've had this external hdd for years along with this roku 2 and no real issues until now. It is no longer recognized by roku media player, yet it was working perfectly a couple of days ago. 

This is very upsetting, I have all of my family videos on that hdd ntfs and the family is coming this weekend. Had recently gone through vids of last get together, sliced and diced best clips, came out great and now I can't show them on big screen. 

Please, please tech people, put a roll back update button for when these things happen. Tbh, I'd like to have a no update button since everything was working perfectly before. At least we would have an option(s) until you can figure out what went wrong and you wouldn't have to deal with so many people upset, angry or frustrated.  I certainly hope this isn't one of those planned obsolescence deals.

I know you can't fix this right away, but kindly fix it soonest! Thanks!

DavidAM
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I too have same problem.

Hisense TV model:32H4+

Roku TV 5227X

S/N:2N004T536660

S/W:11.0.0 - build 4180-11

USB DRIVE: WD My Book Essential (External HD)

Recent firmware update rendered my WD External 2TB Hard drive unavailable. Using Roku Media Player app shows my Server's media center thru WiFi, but no longer shows my USB drive connection. Drive is formatted as NTFS, and has multiple media formats.  While I don't get an error code, or anything related to a problem, I cannot get it to recognize the drive. Happened immediately after update to 11.

It would be tremendously helpful to have a "rollback" or "downrev" option to go back to last version of firmware until this issue can be resolved.  

0 Kudos
tony0808

Jump to solution

kleinzeit

I had the same problem on 2 different TVs with both Roku 3 and Roku 4. Kleinzeit's post pointed me in the right direction for a workaround.  The only USB input into my Rokus is via 128GB USB sticks which were formatted NTFS.  I copied the sticks to my PC, reformatted as FAT32 (NOT exFAT32!), reloaded, and was back in business.  I suspect the problem is either sloppy testing or planned obsolescence.

0 Kudos
Kleinzeit
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

In general I default to incompetence rather than malice as an explanation. One might assume that if it was intentional, Roku wouldn’t continue to claim on the error screen (which appears when trying to access my drive) that NTFS is supported. But maybe not.

It’s an irritating problem exacerbated by Roku, who are aware of it, not saying it they intend to fix it or not. For all we know it’ll be fixed by tomorrow and your hassle of reformatting a drive was a waste of time. Or maybe they’ll never fix it and we must all make another plan. Poor testing, poor communication.

Anyway, I’m glad you have a solution.

0 Kudos