Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerStam
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 3900X - Roku OS 11.0.0. build 4193-51 Issues

I own two Roku Express 3900X streaming devices (among many other Roku devices).

One was recently automatically updated from OS 10.5 to 11.0.0. build 4193-51.

Upon update I have numerous issues such as previously used network getting disconnected, Roku media player and HD Homerun apps not playing back sub 1080p content correctly, and most annoyingly having my TV shut off the usb port with a power overload message that never happened on 10.5. 

My other Roku Express 3900X device has not been updated from 10.5 to 11.0 and has none of the issues described above. 

I have been a big Roku fan for years and I sell electronics for a living. I have always recommended Roku enthusiastically to customers despite some of it's short comings. However, Roku you absolutely have to allow 2 things on your OS updates.

1. At least a prompt for notifying the user if they want to update the OS, instead of automatically installing it.

2. The ability to ROLLBACK the OS update to a previous version that was working fine (in my case 10.5 from 11.0) if the update breaks any features or creates issues.

You can not release updates without thoroughly testing them to make sure they do not break features that are working perfectly. That is lazy testing and QC. If my device is working correctly and you all automatically update it and is then malfunctioning from said update then that is horrible tech support. 

I am hoping if you do not allow rollbacks in the near future that you at least update the 11.0 OS to fix the issues I described on my device and soon. 

21 REPLIES 21
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 3900X - Roku OS 11.0.0. build 4193-51 Issues

Keep in mind that the 3900 was released back in 2017. So it’s roughly 5 years old and past it’s prime. I own 8 Roku devices. All have updates to Roku OS 11 with zero flaws. My oldest Roku is from 2019. Even that one is getting passed it’s prime. I know @AvsGunnar  knows a lot about using an external hard drive. So you use a Home Run. Is that to DVR Sling? Or do you have movies stored on it?

0 Kudos
WerewolfGuy
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku Ultra 4670X, after it updated to OS 11.0.0 build 4193 none of the channels can connect to the network, nor can it check for updates. I am able to run the 'check network connection' and it shows it has an internet connection. Rebooting doesn't help. I'd like to rollback.

StreamerStam
Channel Surfer

Hi, thanks for the response. I use HD Homerun solely for taking my OTA antenna signals and streaming them on my network so all my devices with the HD Homerun app can watch local channels.

Even when Roku comes out with new devices they shouldn't disable properly functioning older ones with updates without giving you the option to accept the update or rollback if the update doesn't function correctly on 'older' hardware. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@StreamerStam 

Nowhere have you asked for help with the issue of some functionality not working. If you're just coming here to complain -- and some people do that -- then okay, I'll move along. If you want help, restate the issue and leave out the commentary. We'll see what we can do. Be aware it may be that a Roku moderator may need to jump in and direct some actions for troubleshooting, but other users (me and others) will give it a shot in helping until then. If you want help, that is.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
nason89JC
Channel Surfer

This is a huge issue in my area.  I have 5 Roku devices and three no longer work since this past weekend.  They say they are connected to the internet but cannot receive or send anything.  The Roku streaming sticks are fine.  Must be different firmware used in the sticks.  This is absolutely a Roku problem that is effecting our Roku boxes and Roku TV's and/or maybe our ISP.

So far Roku has no idea what it did so why don't they just roll back the firmware change until they can solve it?  Complicated work arounds are not going to help unsophisticated users.

0 Kudos
StreamerStam
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response DBdukes.

I posted here because Roku doesn't let you contact them directly for my device. Do I want help? Why would I have posted on the forum if I didn't want a resolution to the problem?

I was hoping an actual Roku employee would have responded because a rollback is needed to 0S 10.5 to fix my problem or a new build of the OS 11.

I have already troubleshooted everything I can, I am not looking for advice on that. I need to be able to ROLLBACK the OS and my commentary is for the purpose of letting ROKU know that I am not happy with them breaking my device with their OS update. 

The commentary is also for the purpose of letting Roku know they have issues with the OS 11.0 build 4193-51 update at least on my device (Roku Express 3900X). Hopefully they can remedy the issues I described in their next build of the OS. 

0 Kudos
WerewolfGuy
Reel Rookie

I posted above about my Roku Ultra 4670X (purchased June 2020) not working. Just an update from my experience with Roku support. I use an Ethernet cable so they suggested I try using WiFi, doing this actually worked, it was able to access content again. But I really want to use an Ethernet cable (hence getting the ultra and not a stick.) We verified my cable was fine and tried different ports on the router. After those conditions were checked the Roku support agent said the Roku had a bad Ethernet port. I told him I thought that conclusion was suspicious because the problem started the very day the update was installed. Since my device is out of warranty they offered a 30% discount code (which never arrived via email.)

The agent literally said nobody else is complaining about this issue and that its been tested (end of conversation.) I recognize there's limits to what support can do but I didn't come away feeling anything but the bare minimum troubleshooting was carried out.

I came away feeling disappointed at the experience.

0 Kudos
nason89JC
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express 4800X - Roku OS 11.0.0. build 4193-51 Issues

I posted here for the same reason as you.  Maybe Roku will be more careful and give a roll back option in the future.  By the way, I have three Roku boxes all less than 18 months old.  Whatever they did was a very poorly tested update.  If I had not been so happy in the past year with Roku and there was a real good alternative I would throw the stuff out and do something else.  Let's hope we get their attention.

0 Kudos
nason89JC
Channel Surfer

I tried the same thing on my 4800X and my wifi also did not work.  I received a new Roku Express 4K+ last evening and I could not set it up because it could not send me an activation email even though it said it was connected to the internet.  Looks like I am connected but it won't send me a email to activate.  This is clearly a huge Roku issue and they are covering it up, big time!!!  So sad since I now have 5 Roku devices and I am going to have to find an alternative because I cannot trust their technology anymore.

0 Kudos